The Muir House
30 Lorne Crescent
12 Lorne Avenue
28 Lorne Avenue
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Muir House is located at 30 Lorne Crescent, on the south side of Lorne Crescent, west of Brant Avenue, in the City of Brantford. The two storey, buff brick residence was constructed in circa 1892.
The property was designated, by the City of Brantford in 1999, for its cultural heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 37-99.
The property at 30 Lorne Crescent is a part of a neighbourhood that was developed by Abraham and Bathsheba Smith who had a plan of subdivision with lots measuring fifty feet wide. Most of the lots on Lorne Crescent were developed according to this plan. During the 1870's, some of Brantford's most distinguished citizens purchased multiple properties on the north side of the street which at the time overlooked a picturesque landscape and ravine. The Muir House was built on one of these larger, combined lots.
The Muir House is a late 19th century home which contributes to the eclectic streetscape of Lorne Crescent. The House is named for the original owner, Matthew Muir, who was a local barrister in town. Charles Slemin, the Brantford Police Chief, purchased the house in 1909 and lived here with his wife and sons. In 1912, he was the first police officer in Canada to receive the King's Distinguished Service Medal. His son, Duff Slemin, later became the Mayor of Brantford, in 1922.
The Muir House is a good example of the Italianate style of architecture with some Classical Revival features. The irregular massing and brick outline, as well as the use of buff brick is typical of this period. The back of the building protrudes out at the right and indicates the irregular outline that is known to the Italian Villa style. The returned eaves and fanlight over the entrance are examples from the Classical Revival period.
Source: City of Brantford, By-law 37-99.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of Muir House include its:
- location on Lorne Crescent
- plaque to the left of the front entrance
- two storey, buff brick exterior
- protrusion on the right side of building
- hip roof with gable on left projection
- enclosed main entrance
- mansard roof over the entrance
- hexagon pattern slate tile roof shingling
- balcony above the entrance
- wrought iron railing surrounding the balcony
- double wooden doors with arched fanlight above
- cantilevered eaves
- decorative brackets under the eaves, spaced evenly along roof line and at corners
- brick voussoirs above the windows and door
- multi-light transom over the large window to the left of the front entrance
- double-hung, second storey windows with one-over-one glazing pattern
- round window in the gable
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Brantford
100 Wellington Square
Cross-Reference to Collection