Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Lockhart-Moogk House is located at 289 Simcoe Street, at the corner of Simcoe Street and Gage Street. The two storey house was built in 1817.
The Lockhart-Moogk House was designated in 1997 by the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 3168-97).
Built in 1817, the Lockhart Moogk House stands proudly as one of Niagara-on-the-Lake's oldest homes. The property, known locally as “Storrington”, is representative of the rebuilding of Niagara after much of it was burned during the War of 1812. The house is named for its original owner and builder, Adam Lockhart, a well-known merchant, banker, ship owner, and one-time secretary of the Niagara Harbour and Dock Company.
The house is characteristic of the Niagara region, with Georgian style architecture arranged symmetrically around five bays at the front. The two storey structure features a gable roof with two end chimneys, a centre hall plan and a rear one-and-a-half storey wing. The house is constructed of brick, and now finished in smooth stucco jointed to imitate cut stone probably an early finish to protect the masonry.
The building retains its original twelve over twelve sash windows and a six-panelled door. The entrance doorcase displays much-divided sidelights and transom. Original interior detail includes two mantelpieces, architraves to openings, doors and the staircase. Additional trim and joinery, by Carl Banke, was added in order to complement the original.
Source: Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake By-law 3168-97.
Character defining elements that reflect the heritage value of the Lockhart-Moogk House include its:
- two storey structure
- gable roof
- two end chimneys
- rear one-and-a-half storey wing
- brick construction with smooth stucco finish
- twelve-over-twelve sash windows
- entrance doorcase with six-panelled door, sidelights and transom
- two mantelpieces
- architraves to openings, doors and staircase
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Planning and Development Department
Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake Municipal Offices
1593 Four Mile Creek Road, P.O. Box 100
Virgil, Ontario, L0S 1T0
Cross-Reference to Collection