Charles Kennedy Residence
Résidence Charles Kennedy
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Boone Residence is a wooden, single-storey, vernacular residence with a side-gabled roof, a three-bay front façade and a central entryway. It is located on Montague Street in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Boone Residence is designated as a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with past occupants and for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Boone Residence is recognized for being a good example of early modest vernacular architecture in Maritime Canada. The property has a simple three-bay front façade with a central entranceway. An indicator that this property may have been built in the late 1700’s or early 1800’s is its low profile and the tops of the windows being flush with the eaves. The large shed dormer, portico and gingerbread trim along the eaves are most likely later additions.
The Boone Residence is also recognized for its association with its past known occupants. The home or lot was purchased by Charles A. Kennedy, a first-rank painter in the town. The beautiful carved and painted Royal Coat of Arms in the tympanum of the Charlotte County Court House in St. Andrews, a National Historic Site of Canada, is credited to Charles Kennedy. Mr. Kennedy remained here until his death in 1881. In 1900, Harry Ward Boone moved into the residence and remained here until his death in 1946. Harry worked for the CPR as a cement worker, carpenter and painter. He was an outdoorsman and acted as a fishing guide. One of his most prestige clients was Sir William Van Horne. He was well known among the high class society of the Algonquin. Harry Boone Jr. obtained the home from his father and maintained ownership until his death in 1984.
The Boone Residence is also recognized for its association with St. Andrews’ earliest history. In 1847, Thomas Watt obtained six lots in conjunction with one another for the price of 100 pounds. Two years later he sold this single lot to Charles A. Kennedy for 35 pounds. Deed research suggests that the residence may have been built circa 1850. While the style is fairly universal and can be associated with many eras, the steep gable suggests a later era. An 1844 map shows no buildings within this entire block. Lore suggests that this is one of the homes still standing that was brought over from Castine, Maine. An account states that it was built in 1770 at Castine and, during the American Revolution, it was taken apart by the Loyalists and shipped to St. Andrews in 1783 and re-assembled. Another version suggests that it was built new in St. Andrews by Loyalist Robert Pagan with frames and timber he brought from Maine. It is stated that the original walls contained no laths, just spit boards covered with plaster and bonded with cow hair. It is possible that this is the second location of this home in the town.
The Boone Residence is also recognized for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in St. Andrews. St. Andrews has one of the best collections per capita of heritage buildings in Canada that range from the early thriving loyalist days of the late 1700’s to the Maxwell designed homes of the town’s early tourism era in the late 1800’s, early 1900’s. As of 2001 the population of St. Andrews was less than 2,000 inhabitants. Much credit is due to the inhabitants of the town for maintaining this collection and preserving the town’s serene and relaxed atmosphere.
Source: Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, St. Andrews, N.B.
The character defining elements of the Boone Residence include:
- rectangular single-storey massing;
- side-gable three-bay front façade with a central entrance;
- placement and proportions of wood-framed, 6/6 vertical sliding windows;
- wood cladding;
- shed dormer;
- entranceway portico with gable roof;
- gingerbread trim with drop pendants along the eaves.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Peopling the Land
- Migration and Immigration
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, St. Andrews, N.B.
Cross-Reference to Collection