Stentiford's Carriage House
Remise de voitures de Stentiford
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Glew Residence is a wooden two-storey, Greek Revival residence with a front-facing gable. It is located on Queen Street in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Glew Residence is designated as a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with past occupants and for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Glew Residence is recognized for being a good example of Greek Revival residential architecture. Evidence suggests that this was Edward Stentiford’s carriage house, built circa 1830. The eave returns are common with the Greek Revival style, as is the classical entrance. The entranceway has a heavy moulded entablature supported by classical fluted pilasters. The doorway is flanked by sidelights and crowned by a transom window. The massing is symmetrical and consists of two storeys.
The Glew Residence is one of three buildings in succession that were owned by Edward Stentiford in the 19th century. Mr. Stentiford arrived in St. Andrews with his parents in 1830 from Ashburton, England. He established a wheel and carriage manufactory in about 1848. Evidence suggests that this was Mr. Stentiford’s workshop where carriage wheels were made. The rear of this home was most certainly part of Stentiford’s operation. His son became the master car builder of the South Florida Railroad at Sandford, Florida. The Glew family from Canterbury, New Brunswick, owned the house from 1909, the year of Edward Stentiford’s death, until the present owners obtained the home in 1982. Evidence suggests that John Glew had this home renovated from a carriage house to a residence. John Glew was a railway employee and passed away here in 1941. He was transferred to St. Andrews as section foreman for the railway. His son, John Harold Glew, operated the house to accommodate bed and breakfast guests as early as the 1950’s and the residence still accommodates guests as the Coachman’s Inn.
The Glew Residence is also recognized for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in St. Andrews. St. Andrews has one of the best collections per capita of heritage buildings in Canada that range from the early thriving loyalist days of the late 1700’s to the Maxwell designed homes of the town’s early tourism era in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. Much credit is due to the inhabitants of the town for maintaining this collection and preserving the town’s serene and relaxed atmosphere.
Source: Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, St. Andrews
The character-defining elements of the Glew Residence include:
- rectangular two-storey massing;
- symmetrical three-bay façade with an off-centre entranceway;
- front-facing gabled roof with eave returns;
- window placement and proportions in front façade.
The character-defining elements of the entranceway include:
- large moulded entablature;
- fluted pilasters;
- transom window;
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1848/01/01 to 1848/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Developing Economies
- Extraction and Production
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Hotel, Motel or Inn
- Single Dwelling
- Crafts Production Facility
- Commerce / Commercial Services
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, St. Andrews, N.B.
Cross-Reference to Collection