Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built circa 1859, the Stickney Residence is a wooden two-and-a-half storey, Greek Revival residence with a side-gabled front façade. It is further distinguished by a handsome wrap-around veranda. It is located on Montague Street in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Stickney Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with its past occupants and for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in St. Andrews.
The Stickney Residence is recognized for being an excellent high-end example of Greek Revival residential architecture from the mid 19th century. This style is characterized by its two-and-a-half storey massing, heavy corner boards and large eave returns. The wrap-around veranda may have been a later addition yet it displays a Greek component through its cylindrical columns.
The Stickney Residence is also recognized for its association with its past occupants. The residence was built circa 1859 for stone mason and builder Thomas A. Harrison. Mr. Harrison moved to Woodstock in 1875.
George Harold Stickney obtained this home in 1893 and this family owned the home until 1946. George’s father founded the popular Stickney’s Wedgwood Store in the 1840’s and continued to operate it until his death in 1892 when it was taken over by his sons. George dropped out of the hardware and jewellery business to devote his time to the Wedgwood business. He took sole possession of the business in 1897. Stickney’s was a household name in St. Andrews and was the most popular spot for tourists. They carried china goods, glass, cutlery, watches, clocks, and jewellery. Their reputation for Wedgwood began when George’s father became interested in the products of the famous Wedgwood pottery in Etruia, Stoke-upon-Trent, Staffordshire, England. Gradually, he increased his sales of this famous pottery. Stickney’s Wedgwood Store became known throughout America as the place where Wedgwood ware could be found in greater variety than in any other place in North America. Some tourists would come to St. Andrews for the sole purpose of buying pieces of Wedgwood. The store operated for more than 100 years from its beginnings.
The Stickney Residence is also recognized for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in St. Andrews. St. Andrews has one of the best collections per capita of heritage buildings in Canada that range from the early thriving loyalist days of the late 1700’s to the Maxwell designed homes of the town’s early tourism era in the late 1800’s, early 1900’s. Much credit is due to the inhabitants of the town for maintaining this collection and preserving the town’s serene and relaxed atmosphere.
Source: Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, St. Andrews, N.B.
The character defining elements of the Stickney Residence include:
- wood cladding;
- two-and-a-half storey massing;
- medium-pitched side-gable roof;
- rounded wrap-around veranda supported by cylindrical columns;
- dentils below roof-line of the veranda;
- wide corner boards;
- large eave returns;
- side windows with projecting headers;
- upper front façade windows flush with the wide frieze below roof-line.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, N.B.
Cross-Reference to Collection