Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built in the late 18th century, or early 19th century, the Storr Residence is a one-and-a-half storey Cape Cod residence with a five-bay front façade, a side-gabled plan and a central entranceway. It is located on Parr Street in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Storr Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with its past occupants and for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in St. Andrews.
The Storr Residence is recognized for being an excellent example of the Cape Cod style of architecture in Maritime Canada. Generally, the early residences of the middle class were constructed in modest styles for approximately the first fifty years of English settlement, beginning in 1783. The Storr Residence has a centrally located entrance in a 5-bay front façade and the gable eaves are flush with the side façades. The relatively little space between the eaves and the tops of the windows also indicate an early age of construction, and is a key element to the Cape Cod style.
The Storr Residence is also recognized for its association with its past occupants. It is speculated that this home was built circa 1822, as John Adderly obtained this lot from John McCurdy in 1821. It is not certain whether the home was standing at the time of this transaction. John Adderly died at the age of 34 on February 20th 1827. A native of Ireland, he had arrived in St. Andrews about 1820. Many immigrants arrived in St. Andrews from Europe in the late 1810’s and early 1820’s. John’s widow, Ann, married Charles Gilliland the following year and this couple remained at this residence for many years. Charles Gilliland passed away here in 1868. He also arrived at St. Andrews from Ireland about 1820. In 1821 he went into partnership with S. Getty before commencing business on his own as a grocer and liquor dealer. Widowed a second time, Ann moved to Canterbury sometime after 1874.
In 1885, the family sold the home to the Storr family. Isaac Storr came to New Brunswick with his parents after being born at Port Credit, Ontario. Isaac was a store clerk and resided here until his death in 1934. Isaac’s son, longshoreman Leslie Storr, resided here until his death in 1958 and his widow sold the home out of the Storr family in 1970.
The Storr Residence is also recognized for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in St. Andrews. St. Andrews has one of the best collections per capita of heritage buildings in Canada that range from the early thriving loyalist days of the late 1700’s to the Maxwell designed homes of the town’s early tourism era in the late 1800’s, early 1900’s. Much credit is due to the inhabitants of the town for maintaining this collection and preserving the town’s serene and relaxed atmosphere.
Source: Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, St. Andrews, N.B.
The character defining elements of the Storr Residence include:
- one-and-a-half storey rectangular massing;
- medium-pitched side-gabled roof;
- wood cladding;
- 6/6 windows;
- window placement and proportions;
- five-bay front façade with central entranceway;
- gable eaves flush with side façades.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Peopling the Land
- Migration and Immigration
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol - St. Andrews, N.B.
Cross-Reference to Collection