Angus Campbell House
301 Princess Street, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Angus Campbell House is a two-storey house situated behind a low picket fence on the north side of Princess Street between Second and Fourth Streets in the Glenbrooke North neighbourhood of New Westminster.
The Angus Campbell House is valued for its age, cultural and architectural significance.
Constructed in 1911, the house is one of the earliest houses on the block, built on land that was once farmland, before it was subdivided around the turn of the twentieth century for housing lots by Archibald Campbell. This property was further subdivided in circa 1910 by Archibald's son Angus, just before the house was built.
The Angus Campbell House is a good example of the Edwardian Arts and Crafts movement, particularly evident by its strong gable roof, sleeping porch, open verandah. The house is valued by the community for the painstaking restoration that the current owners have carried out. A few original elements still exist in the house, such as the large dining room window on the west elevation, the fir floors, and the main stair banister.
Source: City of New Westminster Planning Department
Key elements that define the heritage character of the Angus Campbell House include its:
Siting, Context and Landscape
- side vehicular driveway (to garage behind)
- mature Cherry tree in back yard
- strong gable roof form with common apron roof below second floor openings
- shed dormers – one each side - subordinate shed dormers toward rear of building
- generous front verandah with double wood posts
- sleeping porch on second floor level
- roof extension over sleeping porch opening
- semi-circular window over sleeping porch roof extension
- wood doors and windows, including trim around these openings
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.954
Community Heritage Register
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of New Westminster Planning Department
Cross-Reference to Collection