173 Adolphus Street, St Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada
Van Horne Ballroom
Salle de bal Van Horne
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built in 1913, the Algonquin Casino is a one-storey, concrete Prairie style amusement hall with a basement. It is located on the grounds of the Algonquin Hotel on Adolphus Street in the Town of St. Andrews.
The Algonquin Casino is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with the Algonquin Hotel and for facilitating community entertainment and charitable fund raisers.
The Algonquin Casino is recognized as a good example of high-end Prairie Style architecture, popularized by Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959). The Prairie style derives from the Craftsman style and focuses more on a cottage-like feel with large veranda’s below overhanging eaves. This style is also characterized by the low hipped roof. The large overhanging eaves form the front veranda and are supported by many cylindrical pillars of various sizes. The building has a southerly wing in the same style with eaves that are supported by short cylindrical pillars on box-like bases.
The Algonquin Casino is recognized for its association with the Algonquin hotel and for being a multi-purpose facility for entertainment and for charitable fund raisers. The lower floor was divided between a billiard room and a bowling alley, while the upstairs was for dancing and was easily transferred to a dining hall, conference room or a theatre. During WWII, the casino housed charitable events for the Red Cross and other charitable organizations for the war relief effort. Today, the property is known as the Van Horne Ballroom and seats 300 people. When the Algonquin Hotel burned in 1914, the interior furnishings were removed to this building for safe keeping.
Source: Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, Town of St. Andrews
The character-defining elements of the Algonquin Casino include:
- low single-storey massing with lower basement level;
- window placement and proportions;
- low-pitched hipped roof;
- wide unadorned overhanging eaves forming a full-width front veranda supported by large cylindrical pillars;
- glassed-in side veranda;
- wood-framed windows throughout;
- open floor plan in upper storey with fireplace.
- south wing with short cylindrical pillars on box-like bases.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Social Movements
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Developing Economies
- Communications and Transportation
Function - Category and Type
- Tourist Facility
- Recreation Centre
- Sports Facility or Site
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, St. Andrews, NB
Cross-Reference to Collection