179-183 Water Street, St Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built circa 1863, Healy’s Store is a wooden, two-and-a-half storey Maritime Vernacular commercial/residential building with a front-facing gable. It is located near the main intersection of King Street and Water Street in historic downtown St. Andrews.
Healy’s Store is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with the businesses that occupied it and for being one of three historic stores of similar appearance and vintage that are affixed to one another.
Healy’s Store is a charming example of a two-and-a-half storey Maritime Vernacular building with a symmetrical front façade. Store entrances are placed on each end of the front façade while the upper apartment level entrance is located centrally. The central entry is flanked by two large storefront windows and transom windows are utilized for both store entries. The building has slight eave returns in the front facing gable and a small cornice over the storefront level, demonstrating a Classical Revival influence.
The building was built circa 1863 for provision dealer Thomas Healy and his wife Bridget (Fauls) Healy. The building served as a general store through the late 1800’s. Thomas Healy passed away in 1893 and his heirs, all residents of Boston, conveyed the building to James McDowell, a barber. Mr. McDowell may have been the occupant of this building through most of the 1890’s as historic photographs show the red and white pole which advertises a barber shop. From 1919 to 1940 this building was owned by the New Brunswick Telephone Company (NB Tel). In 1939, NB Tel built a structure in St. Andrews which prompted the sale of this building. In the mid-20th century this was a clothing store operated by Biddy Stuart.
The building is also recognized for being one of three conjoined 19th century structures. These three properties appear to have retained much of the same character as seen in historic photographs of this area. Today, they represent a part of St. Andrews’ historic Water Street where many 19th century shops continue to service locals and visitors. The interior of these structures, with their seasoned hardwood floors, maintain a romanticized 19th century character.
Source: Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, St. Andrews, N.B.
The character defining elements of Healy’s Store include:
- context along with two other 19th century commercial buildings in succession with front-facing gables;
- two-and-a-half storey massing;
- symmetrical front façade;
- front-facing gable roof with eave returns;
- wood clapboard siding with corner boards;
- large storefront windows;
- entrance, including wooden doors and transom windows;
- slight cornice over storefront;
- hardwood floors.
Local Governments (NB)
Heritage Conservation Act
Local Historic Place (municipal)
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
- Single Dwelling
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Office or Office Building
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives, Old Gaol, Town of St. Andrews
Cross-Reference to Collection