Home / Accueil

Town Hall

77, Beckwith Street, Smiths Falls, Town of, Ontario, K7A, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1977/12/19

View of front and side; MTC 2011
77 Beckwith St. North
Date stone; MTC 2011
77 Beckwith St. North
Front view; MTC 2011
77 Beckwith St. North

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2011/12/20

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Constructed in 1859, the Town Hall is located in Smiths Falls on Beckwith Street North between Church Street West and Gladstone Avenue. This two-storey building has long maintained a prominent role in the community life of Smiths Falls.

The Town Hall has been recognized for its heritage value by the Town of Smiths Falls, By-law 4350-77 on 19 December 1977.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of the Town Hall lies in its architectural, historical and associative significance. Constructed in the Classical Revival style, the Town Hall was constructed by John Dodds and Francis Ballantyne in 1859. In 1876, a hose drying tower was added to the southeast corner, and in 1890 George Dart constructed a red brick mansard addition onto the northeast corner. A third addition, a red brick structure is thought to have been built by the Pepper Brothers in 1947. The Town Hall has retained a great deal of historical and associative significance to Smiths Falls. In addition to being used as municipal offices, the building has hosted indoor fairs, dances, classes, meetings, and the annual ball. Lectures, traveling exhibits and shows, and church services also took place here. The building has also housed the Smiths Falls Police Department, the Chamber of Commerce, the Department of Economic Development, the Council Chambers and Mayor's Office.

Sources: Lori McNamara, The Town Hall, (Toronto: Ministry of Culture and Recreation, 1980); Town of Smiths Falls By-law 4350-77; Smiths Falls LACAC Files

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that define the heritage value of the Town Hall include its:
- rough-cut grayish brown limestone construction with granite details
- evenly-lined quoins resembling pillars with a capitol and base
- medium-pitched gables with returned eaves
- date stone featuring the words "Town Hall, 1859"
- radiating voussoirs and granite keystones above doors and windows
- granite lugsills below windows
- transoms and sidelights surrounding front entranceway
- string granite courses
- simple, yet heavy and overhanging cornice
- its location on Beckwith Street North, a prominent commercial district in downtown Smiths Falls




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1876/01/01 to 1876/01/01
1890/01/01 to 1890/01/01
1947/01/01 to 1947/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Governing Canada
Politics and Political Processes

Function - Category and Type



Town or City Hall

Architect / Designer



John Dodds and Francis Ballantyne

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage House Museum P.O. Box 695, 11 Old Sly's Road, Smiths Falls ON K7A 4T6

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places