Stable Building No. 15
Stable (Building No. 15)
Écurie (bâtiment no 15)
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Stable (Building No. 15) is a large, rectangular barn attached to Cattle Barn (Building No. 14) to form an L-shaped site at the centre of the Indian Head Agricultural Research Farm, Saskatchewan. Typical to the design of commercial barns of the era, it has a concrete foundation and board and batten siding. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Stable (Building No. 15) is a “Recognized” Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental value.
Stable (Building No. 15) is a very good example of the theme of agricultural research by the federal government to improve agriculture through constructing a network of Canadian experimental farms. The building represents the importance of early 20th century livestock research through its integral role within the Indian Head Research Farm. Constructed in 1912-1914 to replace an earlier structure, the Stable illustrates the region’s development during a period of rapid growth in agricultural research and the importance of livestock breeding to the local community.
Stable (Building No. 15) is a good representation of a typical barn built in the 1910s despite its uniquely large scale. The wood-framed stable features horizontal massing, rectangular and round windows and ventilator cupolas, a bellcast gambrel roof and a concrete foundation and floor. Its good functional design is seen through extra storage space in the gambrel roof, standard stall and aisle layout, large windows to increase daylight and a Rutherford ventilation system to increase fresh air intake. Designed by W. T. Mollard of the Department of Public Works Saskatchewan and Alberta, Stable (Building No. 15) displays very good quality craftsmanship and materials.
Stable (Building No. 15) has retained its relationship with its associated landscape despite minor changes due to evolving functions. As one of the dominating buildings at the centre of the Indian Head Research Farm, set in an expanse of open fields, Stable (Building No. 15) reinforces the character of its rural farm-like setting. A popular destination for visitors, the Stable has been depicted in literature and cinema following the theme of Western Canada and is also recognized as being one of the largest of its kind in the province.
The following character-defining elements of Stable (Building No. 15) that should be respected include:
— its early 20th century style typical of a Canadian experimental farm barn built in the 1910s;
— its large, rectangular, horizontal massing, the frame construction with board and batten siding, the visible raised concrete foundation, the windows on all sides, the doors on its north, west and east sides, and the bellcast gambrel roof with metal cladding and two remaining cupolas for ventilation;
— the original placement, design and materials of doors and windows; including the large double-door entrance on the east elevation, the entrances on the north and west elevations, and the simple, exterior paint scheme of white dark trim;
— the Rutherford ventilation system;
— the simple, functional interior layout;
— the building’s position within the Indian Head Research Farm and its visual and physical relationship to Cattle Barn (Building No. 14);
— its central location on the Indian Head Research Farm, directly across from the main (west) farm entrance.
Government of Canada
Treasury Board Heritage Buildings Policy
Recognized Federal Heritage Building
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Health and Research
- Research Facility
Architect / Designer
W.T. Mollard, Department of Public Works
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Conservation and Commemoration Directorate, Documentation Centre, 3rd Floor, Room 366, 30 Victoria St, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection
Cattle Barn Building 14
Cattle Barn (Building No. 14) is a large, rectangular barn connected to a Stable of similar design to form an L-shaped site located at the Indian Head Agricultural Research Farm,…