Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of St. Michael's Parish
St. Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of St. Michael
Links and documents
1936/01/01 to 1936/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of St. Michael’s Parish is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the Village of Rama. The property features a one-storey, wood-frame church with a large central dome built in 1936.
The heritage value of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of St. Michael’s Parish lies in its use as a place of religious worship. In 1927, the St. Michael’s Ukrainian Greek Orthodox congregation was formed, and began holding their services in local residences. In 1936, the parish decided to construct a church with a large dome, and work began on the present building. The property has been used continuously for religious services ever since and has become an important place in the spiritual life of the people of Rama and surrounding district.
The heritage value of the property also lies in its architecture, which is typical of Ukrainian Greek Orthodox churches of the period. Inspired by Byzantine Revival architecture, the property features a large central octagonal dome, cupola-topped towers that flank the main entrance, and a symmetrical composition in the form of a crucifix. Also typical of Orthodox church construction, the interior space features a sanctuary and nave adorned with numerous wood mouldings, and icons depicting religious symbols.
Village of Rama Bylaw 4-1994.
The heritage value of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of St. Michael’s Parish resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect its use as a religious property, including the crosses on the top of the church, cupolas and bell tower, and its location on its original site;
-those elements that reflect its architecture typical of Ukrainian Greek Orthodox churches of the period, including the central octagonal dome with cupola, cupola-topped towers flanking the main entrance, rose windows, rounded windows with stained glass, its symmetrical composition in the form of a crucifix, and interior decorative mouldings, ornate altar screen, religious paintings and chandelier.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Conservation Branch
3211 Albert St., Regina, SK S4S 5W6
File No: MHP 1624
Cross-Reference to Collection