538 Yates Street
538 Yates Street, Victoria, British Columbia, V8W, Canada
538 Yates Street
T.B. Pearson and Co. Wholesale Woolens
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
538 Yates Street is a small, two storey brick commercial building on the north side of the street. It can be identified by a highly decorative bracketed metal cornice, and a small entrance bay on the western portion of its unusual asymmetrical façade.
538 Yates Street adds value to Victoria's Old Town District because it is an excellent example of the type of small scale masonry buildings that were constructed during the 1880s as the City's commercial spectrum diversified to meet the needs of the growing population. Its primary heritage value lies in its compatibility with and contribution to the collection of buildings of a similar scale and date of construction which characterize this part of Yates Street, and in the unique elements of its 1888 design which set it apart from the rest and help to diversify the architectural composition of the commercial streetscape.
Source:City of Victoria Planning and Development Dept.
The character defining elements of 538 Yates Street include:
- Its location, set amongst other buildings of a similar scale and date of construction.
- Its small massing and two-storey flat roofed form.
- Construction methods and materials used to carry out its original 1888 design.
- Historic architectural detailing relevant to its 1888 design, including inset upper-storey windows with incised wooden panels and the highly decorative metal cornice.
- Its asymmetrical street-front façade characterized by a small entrance bay on the westernmost portion.
- Its continuous commercial use for small scale retail business.
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.954
Community Heritage Register
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Victoria Planning and Development Dept.
Cross-Reference to Collection