Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Rand House consists of a rectangular mid-19th century 2-story Italianate residential structure located on the west side of Botsford Street, just north of Queen Street and across from St. Bernard’s Church in Moncton.
The Rand House was designated for being a rare example of the Italianate residential architectural style in Moncton.
Built in c1858 for businessman John Fawcett and his wife Mary on land purchased from Bliss Botsford, the Italianate style of Rand House, with ornate details common to that style is a striking departure from much of Moncton’s architecture.
The Rand House was also designated for the significance of some of its previous owners.
Its second occupant was James McAllister, who bought the property in 1864. He became a prominent businessman through his association with Oliver Jones and the Westmorland Bank. He later became involved in such endeavours as the building of the Irishtown Reservoir, becoming chairman of the School Board, serving as the first treasurer of the YMCA and being involved with the building of St. John’s Presbyterian Church. His wife, Margaret, was a high-standing member of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union. The home became the residence of Ivan C. Rand, a Moncton lawyer, later a judge, New Brunswick’s Liberal Attorney-General and a Canadian Supreme Court Justice. His most notable contribution was as a federal arbitrator at the Canadian Notional Railroad. He developed a solution that would be dubbed the “Rand Formula”. This formula, still used by unions today, consisted of a compromise that saw non-union workers pay union fees but not have to join the union.
In 1996, the Rand House was designated a Heritage Property through the City of Moncton Heritage Preservation By-Law #Z-1102.
The character-defining elements relating to designation of the Rand House for its Italianate residential architectural style include:
- low-pitched truncated hipped roof;
- decorated wide eaves;
- triple Roman arch details on the open verandahs;
- clapboard siding with large square Doric pilaster corner posts;
- 1-story bay window with hipped roof and the triple Roman arch windows;
- full-façade verandah;
- closed portico double entry;
- rectangular massing;
- regular fenestration.
The character-defining elements of the interior include:
- crown ceiling moulding;
- ceiling medallions;
- wide window and door entablatures;
- wall niches;
- hardwood floors;
- elaborate brass floor grilles;
- original staircase;
- brick fireplace.
Local Governments (NB)
Municipal Heritage Preservation Act, s.5(1)
Municipal Heritage Preservation Act
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Governing Canada
- Government and Institutions
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Group Residence
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Moncton Museum, 20 Mountain Road, Moncton, New Brunswick - second Floor, back office files - filed by civic address
Cross-Reference to Collection