Description of Historic Place
The Stone Frigate, Building D38, a two-storey, gable-roofed, stone building, sits in an isolated area of the Dockyard on high ground. Two small, single-storey annexes are attached to the southern elevation, and are connected by a wooden verandah. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
The Stone Frigate, Building D38 is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental value.
The Stone Frigate, Building D38 is strongly associated with the operation of the Dockyard and Pacific Station. Built as barracks for the crews of ships docked at the naval yard, it was the last of the new facilities to be built under the Royal Navy’s 1895-1904 rebuilding program. It was the only purpose-built Royal Navy barracks block from the period on either coast.
The Stone Frigate, Building D38 is a good example of a turn of the century purpose-built structure. It is unusual in the Dockyard as it is constructed in random coursed masonry. This, combined with its simple form, gives it a vernacular character. It exhibits very good quality craftsmanship and materials which are consistent with the designs of other Dockyard buildings from the same period.
The Environmental Value
The Stone Frigate, Building D38 is compatible with the character of the streetscape of Hospital Road and the urban environment of the Dockyard. Its design and construction provides an effective and interesting contrast to other structures in the vicinity. Stone Frigate, Building D38 is visible from many points within and outside the Dockyard. It maintains an unchanged relationship to its associated landscape.
Sources: Ian Doull, Dockyard, CFB Esquilmalt, Esquimalt, British Columbia, Federal Heritage Building Report, 89-202; Building D38 (Stone Frigate), Esquimalt Dockyard, Esquilmalt, British Columbia, Heritage Character Statement, 89-202.
The following character-defining elements of the Stone Frigate, Building D38 should be respected.
Its functional design and high quality craftsmanship and materials, for example:
-the simple two-storey, gable-roofed, elongated block with two small single-storey annexes attached to the southern elevation;
-the very good construction of random coursed masonry;
-the distinctive large window arrangement on the principal façade;
-the two brick chimneys which break up the long south façade and dissect alternating
pairs of windows;
-the use of brick for quoins, window and door surrounds, and other details.
The manner in which the Stone Frigate, Building D38 is compatible with the character of the streetscape on Hospital Road and within the Dockyard and is a local landmark, as evidenced by:
-its visibility entirely or in part from many points within and outside the Dockyard;
-its elongated gable-roofed form and the extensive use of brick details that is consistent with the design of the other Dockyard buildings from the same period.