Former Foster Mill Site
994 des Chalets Street, Tracadie-Sheila, New Brunswick, E1X, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Former Foster Mill Site is located just outside the town of Tracadie-Sheila, along the Big Tracadie River. Today, all that is left of the Foster Mill is its ruins, remnants of a flourishing era.
The Former Foster Mill Site is designated a Local Historic Place for its contribution to the region’s economic and industrial development.
The mill was built from the frame of Tracadie’s first wooden church. An American company, which founded the Tracadie Lumber Co., built the mill in 1897. The Foster Mill began operating the following year. Its location and the economic boom that occurred led to the extension of the railroad to the river banks and the expansion of the village. The mill provided many jobs for people from the area and outside. The prosperity generated by the mill resulted in a remarkable economic boom: hotels, taverns, new houses, and a boarding house were built. Logging camps were put up all along the river. The frantic pace of growth ended when the Foster Mill was destroyed by fire on October 8, 1905, even though other mills were built subsequently. The remnants of the mill’s foundation are still visible.
Source : Town of Tracadie-Sheila, Heritage File #3
The character-defining elements that describe the the Former Foster Mill Site include:
- location near the Big Tracadie River;
- proximity of the railroad during the mill’s existence;
- remnants of the stone foundation.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
1905/01/01 to 1905/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Extraction and Production
Function - Category and Type
- Undetermined (archaeological site)
- Exposed Site
- Wood and/or Paper Manufacturing Facility
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Tracadie-Sheila Town Hall
Cross-Reference to Collection