Elmscroft Carriage House
823, Argyle Road, City of Windsor, Ontario, N8Y, Canada
Links and documents
1906/01/01 to 1912/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built between 1906 and 1912, the Elmscroft Carriage House is the southerly half of a one-and-a-half-storey dwelling situated on Argyle Street in the former Town of Walkerville. It was built as a garage for Hiram Malcolm Walker's mansion, Elmscroft, which was demolished in the 1950s.
The heritage value of Elmscroft Carriage House is recognized by City of Windsor Bylaw 8290.
Detroit distiller Hiram Walker founded the former Town of Walkerville in 1858. After his death in 1899, Walker's sons directed the second phase of development in Walkerville - developing their land between Wyandotte and Richmond Streets. The Walkers promoted the area as a fine residential neighbourhood focused on St. Mary's Church, immediately to the south (built in 1904), and Willistead Manor (built in 1906). Lots were sold only to those who could build homes of at least 3500 square feet, which guaranteed an upscale neighbourhood. Elmscroft Carriage House, formerly a garage for Hiram Malcolm Walker's mansion, is an interesting remnant of the time when Walkerville was dotted with elegant manor houses.
Hiram Malcolm Walker was the grandson of Hiram Walker, the founder of Hiram Walker and Sons distillery, and the founder of the Town of Walkerville. In 1906 Hiram Malcolm Walker commissioned Burrowes and Wells to build Elmscroft mansion, located on Devonshire Road and St. Mary's Gate. Both the mansion and the carriage house were completed by 1912. The carriage house was used to store Walker's vehicles and as servants quarters. In the 1950s Elmscroft mansion was demolished, and materials salvaged from the mansion were used to convert the garage into a residence.
Elmscroft Carriage House is architecturally significant because it is illustrative of the types of outbuildings found on the estates of the prominent citizens of the Town of Walkerville. It was designed in the Picturesque architectural style, and like the Georgian style mansion that once shared the property, Elmscroft Carriage House also displays Georgian influences; these include the use of Flemish bond brickwork, well-proportioned window shutters on the south facade, and the original brick gateposts with round, cut stone finials that remain from the past estate. Elmscroft Carriage House abuts the Wallmay Carriage House to the north, the remnant of the garage of another lost mansion.
Sources: City of Windsor Bylaw 8290, September 3, 1985; Building Analysis Form, December 1, 1997.
Character defining elements that express the heritage value include its:
- one-and-a-half-storey structure
- wood framed gambrel-designed roof
- original red brick
- Flemish bond brick pattern
- double-hung windows with divided lights
- well-proportioned window shutters on south facade
- projecting cedar-shingled dormers
- original gate posts on the fronting sidewalk
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Burrowes and Wells
Burrowes and Wells
Location of Supporting Documentation
Office of the Heritage Planner, City of Windsor
Cross-Reference to Collection