3402, Sandwich Street, City of Windsor, Ontario, N9C, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Baby-Lajeunesse House, built circa 1855, is located on the north-west corner of Chippawa and Sandwich Streets in the former Town of Sandwich, now west Windsor. It is a one-and-a-half-storey brick dwelling that was constructed in the Vernacular Georgian Revival architectural style.
The Baby-Lajeunesse House is recognized for its heritage value by the City of Windsor By-law 11348.
The heritage value of the Baby-Lajeunesse House lies in its association with two of Sandwich's prominent families, and for its representation of the former town's early streetscape. The Baby-Lajeunesse House was built on a tract of land granted in 1801 by the Crown to Baptiste Baby, a member of one of Sandwich's founding families. The house is allegedly the birthplace of Edward Boismier, the first mayor of Sandwich, and from 1905 to 1943 it was owned by the family of local French historian, Rev. E. J. Lajeunesse, C.S.B.
The Baby-Lajeunesse House was built in the Vernacular Georgian Revival architectural style. It is a one-and-a-half-storey, asymmetrical structure that boasts light coloured brick, a shed-style roof and original window openings. The one-storey ell on the south-west facade is a later addition. Situated on the north-west corner of Sandwich and Chippawa Streets, the Baby-Lajeunesse House is located within the historic core of the former Town of Sandwich, now part of west Windsor. As it stands today, the Baby-Lajeunesse House is a rare remnant of early Sandwich, Ontario's oldest permanent European settlement, and is evocative of the former town's early streetscape.
Sources: Building Analysis Form, June 1992; August 1995; The City of Windsor By-law 11348, March 3, 1993; A Walking Tour of Historic Sandwich, Windsor Heritage Committee, 2004.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Baby-Lajeunesse House include its:
- being a rare remnant of the early development of the Town of Sandwich
- an excellent example of the Vernacular Georgian Revival architectural style
- one-and-a-half-storey main portion, with a single-storey addition
- light coloured brick construction
- shed roof that shelters the porch across the facade
- segmental arched windows and original window openings
- asymmetrical entrance
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Windsor, Office of the Heritage Planner
Cross-Reference to Collection