Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Dr. Henry Crassweller House, built in 1925, is a fine, well-preserved example of a Colonial Revival style home. The two-and-a-half storey, red brick residence is located on the north side of Willistead Crescent in the former Town of Walkerville, now east Windsor.
It is recognized for its heritage value by City of Windsor By-law 341-2001.
The Dr. Henry Crassweller House is representative of the quality of homes built in Walkerville during the early part of the twentieth century. Dr. Crassweller, a local physician and coroner, and his wife, Mara, built the home in 1925. He was a member of the Canadian armed forces during World War I, and articles can be found in the local newspaper which describe his experiences as a Prisoner of War in Germany.
The two-and-a-half storey, Colonial Revival style home was designed by the local architectural firm Nichols, Sheppard and Masson. Many of the home's qualities, including the symmetry, proportion, bays and porches, reflect 17th century colonial prototypes. The Dr. Henry Crassweller House has been extremely well preserved, and many of its original features remain both on the interior (such as the Pewabic tile of the fireplace) and exterior, adding to its heritage value.
The Dr. Henry Crassweller House was built in Walkerville when fine residential development was spreading southward from the core area of Walkerville; this was known as the second phase of development. At this time the sons of founder Hiram Walker were developing their land between Wyandotte and Richmond Streets. They promoted the area as a fine residential neighbourhood that focused on St. Mary's Church and Willistead Manor. Lots were sold only to those who could build homes of at least 3500 square feet, which guaranteed an upscale neighbourhood. The Dr. Henry Crassweller House is located within this area, and remains a testament to the quality and grandeur of the homes built in the former Town of Walkerville in the beginning of the twentieth century.
Sources: Building Analysis Form, March 26, 2001; Designation Report, March 22, 2001; City of Windsor By-law 341-2001, September 24, 2001.
Character defining elements that express the heritage value of the Dr. Henry Crassweller House include its:
- two-and-a-half storey structure
- red brick construction with painted wood trim
- hip roof with three gabled dormers on the front façade
- prominent dentil trimmed cornice
- front door flanked by pilasters, with sidelights and fanlight of leaded glass
- double hung, six over six sash windows with cast-stone key stones
- flat-arched brick voussoirs
- wooden shutters secured by ornate wrought iron features
- original coal and ice chutes
- large ornate staircase
- pine wood floors
- Pewabic tile fireplace
- original interior lighting fixtures
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Nichols, Sheppard and Masson
Location of Supporting Documentation
Office of the Heritage Planner, City of Windsor
Cross-Reference to Collection