1012 Richardson Street
William Hampson House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
1012 Richardson Street is a two-and-a-half storey wood frame Italianate residence, part of the Vancouver Street cluster in the heart of Victoria's Fairfield neighbourhood.
1012 Richardson Street, built in 1892, has value for its architecture, how its construction illustrates foreign investment and speculative housing in the late nineteenth century, for its architect, for its reflection of the emerging heritage movement in the 1970s, and for its restoration that served as a catalyst for restoration in the neighbourhood.
1012 Richardson Street has heritage value as one of six extant examples of eight adjacent houses built at the end of the nineteenth century for British investor Hedley Chapman. The B.C. Land and Investment Agency, who at one time owned or controlled half the real estate in Victoria, acted as agents and arranged for the construction of the houses by contractors Bishop and Sherborne. In 1908, the property was subdivided into six lots, two houses were moved further down Vancouver Street, and the remaining six houses were sold. This cluster clearly illustrates the early speculative rental market, a trend begun in Victoria's early building boom.
All the houses are identical in size and layout but have subtle differences in architectural embellishments. The Italianate styling reflects the architectural tastes of the late nineteenth century, and these examples are more modest expressions of the villas owned by more affluent owners. The occupations of early residents reflects the growth of the middle class. This building was rented by a succession of different tenants including a contractor, a drygoods merchant, and a widow.
The property is also valued as an example of modest domestic architecture by architect John Teague, better known for larger, institutional commissions in the City such as Victoria City Hall, the Church of Our Lord, and the Masonic Temple. That he was most comfortable with the Italianate idiom in residential architecture is evident both in these examples and his larger commissions for Victoria's elite.
This cluster of houses is valued by the Fairfield neighbourhood. In 1977, the City, responding to a Fairfield Community Association request, designated five of the six remaining buildings: today, they serve as a reminder of the emerging heritage conservation program in Victoria at that time.
This house was the first of the group to be restored. A local carpenter and early heritage conservationist completed a historically accurate restoration in 1979, serving as a catalyst for the remainder of the grouping.
Source: City of Victoria Planning Department
The heritage character of 1012 Richardson Street is defined by the following elements:
- characteristics of the Italianate style, including deeply overhanging eaves with ornamental brackets, wooden arcaded porch, double-storey box bay windows, prominent front entrance with wood stairs, decorative bargeboards, and bands of fish scale shingles
- eyebrow window in peak of gable
- form and pattern of fenestration
- relationship between this house and the rest of the cluster
- uniformity of setbacks, building height, and mass throughout the cluster
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.967
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Bishop and Sherborne
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Victoria Planning Department
Cross-Reference to Collection