730 Quadra Street, Victoria, British Columbia, V8V, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Rose Manor is an historic retirement residence, with the original portion built in brick in the Edwardian neo-classical style, on the triangle of land bounded by Quadra Street, Rupert Terrace, and Fairfield Road. The designation specifically applies to interior features - the rotunda and the stained-glass skylight.
The historic place, built in 1908, is valued for its architecture, its architect, its interior features, and its social significance.
Rose Manor is valued for its social significance. The building, originally named "The Aged and Infirm Women’s Home of Victoria," grew from an earlier building - the disused French Benevolent Hospital - first used by the Victoria Friendly Help Society as early as 1898 to shelter elderly women without means or families to provide for them.
The care home was organized by and for women and, until 1979, did not admit male residents. Among the early board members of the facility were Lauretta Gould, wife of a sealing captain, and Florence Clay, wife of the Reverend William Clay of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Victoria. These women were carrying on a tradition of charitable service to the unfortunate that had developed in the early years of Victoria when the largely British population considered such work as an obligation. The name 'Rose Manor' was adopted in 1958 after Victoria Mayor Percy Scurrah, while on a visit, admired the rose gardens. The facility is now owned by the BC government and continues its tradition of providing independent living for the elderly.
Prominent Victoria architects, Thomas Hooper and C. Elwood Watkins, designed the earliest section of the building, linking it stylistically to other nearby buildings for which Hooper did design work - St. Ann's Academy and the former St. Joseph's Hospital, both on Humboldt Street. Interior stained-glass skylights were a hallmark of Hooper's buildings. This is the first example to be formally recognized.
There is heritage value in the designation of the interior features. The designation of the rotunda and stained-glass skylight in 1997 represented the City of Victoria's first designation of an interior feature, following the authorization of heritage designation of interiors by the Heritage Conservation Statutes Amendment Act passed in 1994 by the BC government.
Derived from Italian Renaissance models, the Edwardian neo-classical style reflects a restrained Classical expression whose traditions were deeply rooted in the ancient architectures of the Western world. Classical styles experienced widespread popularity in North America after they were used to great effect for the buildings of the Chicago World's Fair of 1893. Structural details often refer to Classical temples and civic architecture. Buildings were symmetrically massed, lacking applied surface ornamentation while retaining traditional Classical features.
Source: City of Victoria Planning Department
The heritage character of Rose Manor is defined by the following elements:
- stained-glass skylight
- characteristics of the Edwardian neo-classical style, including balustraded balcony above entryway, classical columns, plain unornamented surfaces, decorative mullioned windows, rough stone foundation, concrete sill, projecting bay window with multi-faceted diamonds in upper portion of sash, granite window surrounds on lower level
- brick construction
- continuous use as a care facility
- proximity to St. Joseph's Hospital and St. Ann's Academy
- corner location
- stone wall surrounding property
Local Governments (BC)
Local Government Act, s.967
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Community Organizations
Function - Category and Type
- Multiple Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Victoria Planning Department
Cross-Reference to Collection