Description of Historic Place
Visible from the town centre, the Barrack Green Armoury is situated on a hillside within the industrial sector of Saint John. It is a large, solid, two-storey, rectangular structure paralleled by two administrative blocks. Two flanking towers guard a large troop door at the armoury’s main entrance. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.
Barrack Green Armoury is a Recognized Federal Heritage Building because of its historical associations, and its architectural and environmental values.
Barrack Green Armoury is closely associated with the reform and expansion of the Active Volunteer Militia, during Sam Hughes tenure as Minister of Militia and Defence, from 1911 to 1916. When the First World War broke out the reforms had transformed the militia from a citizen militia into an efficient fighting unit prepared for action.
Barrack Green Armoury is a very good example of a Class ‘A’ armoury designed to a standard plan from the Militia Council. The design of the large and impressive structure with its dominant, functional central drill hall emphasizes symmetry and horizontality. The exterior features references to medieval military, and Tudor architecture. The armoury displays a high standard of workmanship and materials and was designed by T.W. Fuller.
Barrack Green Armoury reinforces the character of its industrial sector setting and is a familiar landmark in the city due to its high visibility from the town centre. Its specialized function adds to its local familiarity as a community landmark.
Jacqueline Adell, Armoury, 60 Broadview Avenue, saint John, New Brunswick. Federal Heritage Buildings Review Office Report 90-280; Armoury, 60 Broadview Avenue, Saint John, New Brunswick. Heritage Character Statement 90-280.
The character-defining elements of the Barrack Green Armoury should be respected.
Its aesthetic adapted for military structures using good quality materials and craftsmanship, for example:
- the large, low-massed, imposing structure with a one-storey, crenellated, frontispiece entrance, and a two-storey gable-roofed hall paralleled by two-storey ancillary blocks;
- the composition of the front and rear gabled façades consisting of octagonal, crenellated corner towers, large arched windows which indicate the location of the drill hall, and a prominent ‘Tudor’ inspired troop door (on the front);
- the symmetrical, regular pattern of windows and doors along each side;
- the well-scaled, red brick exterior walls with carved and smooth sandstone detailing including copings, window dressings, and horizontal stringcourses;
- the rough-faced stone at basement level.
The manner in which Barrack Green Armoury reinforces the character of its setting and is a familiar community landmark as evidenced by:
- its imposing scale on an open plot of land which blends reasonably well into the industrial section of Saint John;
- its brick façade which harmonizes with the nearby buildings;
- its prominent setting on a hillside visible from the town centre.