78 King Street, St. Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Hatheway House is a two-storey, wooden, Georgian building with a five-bay symmetrical front façade and central entranceway. Built circa 1830, it is located on King Street in St. Andrews.
The Hatheway House is recognized as a Local Historic Place for its relatively unaltered architectural style and for its association with the Hatheway family.
The Hatheway House is a good example of a late-Georgian home. This was one of the earliest North American styles but was rarely used after the 1830’s. One of the best attributes to the Georgian style is the strict symmetry where the slightest alteration can change its architectural value. This building has maintained its strict five-bay symmetry with 6/6 vertical sliding wood windows. The central entranceway displays a handsome Christian door flanked by pilasters. This home has no sidelights, they were not common in the Georgian style, but displays an ornate fanlight. The large entablature over the entrance is not strict to the early Georgian style and resembles Greek Revival, the primary style that immediately followed the Georgian era. Aside from the natural beauty of St. Andrews, the sturdiness and size of grand homes like the Hatheway House, kept in their original immaculate condition, have drawn summer tourists to the area for many years. These homes also illustrate the secure status of the residents of the town during the Golden Age of Sail.
Charles Hatheway was a long-standing and high-ranking officer with the New Brunswick Regiment of Fencible Infantry and, later, with the Charlotte County Militia. Charles was an outstanding citizen of St. Andrews and he held the positions of Justice of the Peace and Deputy Surveyor of New Brunswick. He passed away here on January 21st, 1869 and his wife passed away hours later and they were buried together. The home was occupied by their son Charles Edward Owen Hatheway until his nephew, Dr. Edward Botsford Chandler, obtained the home in 1894.
Source: St. Andrews Civic Trust – Charlotte County Archives, St. Andrews, New Brunswick
The character-defining elements of this Georgian building include:
- two-storey rectangular massing;
- five-bay symmetrical proportions;
- central entranceway;
- window placement and proportions;
- 6/6 vertical sliding wood windows;
- two ridge chimneys;
- side gabled roof with short eave returns;
- wood cladding;
- stone foundation.
The character-defining elements of the entrance include:
- wood Christian door;
- ornate fanlight;
- pilasters flanking the entrance;
- pilasters supporting a large entablature.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Governing Canada
- Security and Law
- Governing Canada
- Military and Defence
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives, 123 Frederick Street, St. Andrews, NB
Cross-Reference to Collection