Home / Accueil

24 Circular Road Municipal Heritage Building

St. John's, Terre-Neuve et Labrador, A1C, Canada

Reconnu formellement en: 2001/07/23

Exterior photo showing front facade, taken February 2005, looking north.; HFNL 2005
24 Circular Road, St. John's, NL.
Exterior photo showing rear facade, looking south. Photo taken 2006.; HFNL 2006
24 Circular Road, St. John's, NL.
View of main facade, looking north.  Photo taken October 26, 2007.; Deborah O'Rielly/ HFNL 2007
24 Circular Road, St. John's

Autre nom(s)


Liens et documents

Date(s) de construction

Inscrit au répertoire canadien: 2008/11/25

Énoncé d'importance

Description du lieu patrimonial

24 Circular Road is a two-and-one-half storey, wooden dwelling built in the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. Surrounded by mature trees it overlooks Rennie’s Mill Valley at the rear, and historic Circular Road at the front. The designation is confined to the footprint of the building.

Valeur patrimoniale

24 Circular Road has been designated a Municipal Heritage Building for its aesthetic and historical values.

24 Circular Road is aesthetically valuable because it is a good example of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture. Painted in a traditional yellow ochre, this dwelling house has many elements of this style. The overall shape of 24 Circular Road is typically Queen Anne Revival with the use of varying roof forms and a corner turret. As well, an open, covered verandah wraps around the house and it has decorative support columns. Details such as the dentils, palladian window, stained glass windows and narrow, wooden clapboard add interest to this merchant-class home.

24 Circular Road is historically valuable because of its associations with two prominant Newfoundlanders, George W.B Ayre (1879-1945) and Hazen A. Russell (1892- 1983). This residence was the home of George W.B. Ayre, a lawyer who played a prominent role in the development of amateur sports in Newfoundland. He was the founder of the Newfoundland Amateur Athletic Association, May 27, 1921.

Hazen A. Russell played an important role in the innovation of the Newfoundland fishing industry. While managing the Fisherman’s Union Trading Company for William F. Coaker, he was the first to pay fisherman cash for their catch. While he was a director at Job Brothers, he campaigned for fresh-frozen processing of fish. Later, as owner of Bonavista Cold Storage Ltd. he introduced the first stern trawler to the fishery.

Source: City of St. John's, Meeting held July 23, 2001.

Éléments caractéristiques

All those elements of the Queen Anne Revival style of architecture, including:
-wooden shingles, turret, varying roof forms, etc.;
-narrow wooden clapboard;
-shape, size and placement of windows;
-original door opening with wood panel door, dentil motif trim, transom and pilasters;
- covered, open verandah with support columns; and
-coloured patterned glass on windows.



Terre-Neuve et Labrador

Autorité de reconnaissance

Ville de St. John's

Loi habilitante

City of St. John's Development Regulations

Type de reconnaissance

City of St. John's Heritage Building

Date de reconnaissance


Données sur l'histoire

Date(s) importantes


Thème - catégorie et type

Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
L'architecture et l'aménagement

Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction


Édifice à logements multiples


Logement unifamilial

Architecte / Concepteur




Informations supplémentaires

Emplacement de la documentation

Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador
1 Springdale Street, St. John’s Newfoundland,
A1C 5V5

City Archive

Réfère à une collection

Identificateur féd./prov./terr.




Inscriptions associées



Recherche avancéeRecherche avancée
Trouver les lieux prochesTROUVER LES LIEUX PROCHES ImprimerIMPRIMER
Lieux proches