Knox United Church
Knox Presbyterian Church
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
1912/01/01 à 1914/12/31
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
Knox United Church is a Municipal Heritage Property occupying .68 hectares of land on the western riverbank of downtown Saskatoon, at the corner of 23rd Street and Spadina Crescent. It features a pre-World War I, two-storey, brick and concrete church.
The heritage value of Knox United Church lies in its architecture. Begun in 1912 and completed in 1914, it was designed by the prominent Montreal architectural firm of Brown and Vallance in a Collegiate Gothic style with an irregular, pointed cruciform floor plan. The Church bears all of the main characteristics of this architectural style, including arched doorways, multiple stained glass windows, and stepped pediments. Its imposing brick exterior reflects stability and strength suitable for a house of worship, while four sets of stained glass windows add ethereal ambience. In its interior, high ceilings and the extensive use of oak in the church’s raised chancel, balconies and exposed rafters continue its lofty style. Except for the extension of its north wall to accommodate an elevator, the Church has seen virtually no structural changes over the years.
The heritage value of Knox United Church also resides in its value as a religious and cultural landmark in Saskatoon. It was constructed by the founding members of Saskatoon’s Presbyterian community and became part of the United Church of Canada in 1925. One of the city’s most notable churches, its large size (1200-person capacity) and excellent acoustics have made it a venue for numerous social and cultural functions, including choir and chamber music presentations. A ground-level church hall has also served a variety of religious and community needs. Prominently located on Spadina Crescent, an avenue of churches, Knox United Church is a landmark in the community.
City of Saskatoon Bylaws No. 6770 and No. 8232.
The heritage value of Knox United Church resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements reflecting its Collegiate Gothic architecture, such as its stepped pediments, columns, buttresses, recessed doorways, belt courses, mullions, spandrels and exposed rafters;
-those elements that establish the ambience of the church, such as the location of the stained glass windows, and the layout of its narthex, nave and chancel;
-those elements that speak to its value as a religious and cultural landmark in Saskatoon, including its placement on its original parcel of land.
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Sask.)
Heritage Property Act, alinéa 11(1)(a)
Type de reconnaissance
Bien patrimonial municipal
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
- Les institutions religieuses
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Religion, rituel et funéraille
- Centre religieux ou lieu de culte
Architecte / Concepteur
Brown and Vallance
Robert John Lecky
Emplacement de la documentation
City of Saskatoon
Community Services Department
Development Services Branch
222 - 3rd Avenue North
SASKATOON SK S7K 0J5
Réfère à une collection