Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
The Glenwood Manor is a three-storey brick apartment block built in 1928 on one city lot, on the north side of Memorial Drive in Calgary. The designation applies to the building's exterior facades and common areas, and exterior landscape elements such as original plantings in the front garden, wooden walkways, and an iron fence with brick gateposts.
The heritage value of the Glenwood Manor lies in its representation of both 1920's domestic architecture, and a period in the history of Calgary when the City was emerging as a major center for corporate head offices, many representing the developing oil industry.
Economic recovery in the 1920s, due to the development of the Turner Valley Oil Field and the renewed health of Calgary's agricultural hinterland, heightened the demand for housing, particularly in suburban neighbourhoods like Sunnyside, where Glenwood Manor was located. Built in 1928, Glenwood Manor provided a residence for Calgary's professional, entrepreneurial and managerial classes into the late 1960's.
Glenwood Manor is significant as an example of the transitional, eclectic architecture favoured at the time, which incorporated several revivalist styles. Here, for example, the symmetry of the main facade and the two-storey bay windows are Georgian Revival, while the interior woodwork, light fixtures and stained glass are typical of the Arts and Crafts style. The amenities of the twelve suites made it one of the finest apartments built in Calgary during the 1920s. Glenwood Manor is a prominent historic structure on the street and in the neighborhood.
Source: Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch (File: Des. 1179)
The heritage value of the Glenwood Manor is contained in such character-defining elements as:
- scale, form and massing including rectangular plan with recessed central space formed between symmetrical projecting pavilions, each with parallel two-storey bays on front (south) elevation;
- red brick facade, concrete foundation, with painted sandstone window sills and fascia, sign on front elevation, two decorative brickwork panels, two chimneys;
- hipped roof, overhanging eaves;
- interior furnishings including: hand crafted mahogany woodwork, light fixtures, radiators, door and window hardware, character and fabric of public hallways, stained glass;
- original plantings and landscape details in front garden;
- wooden stairs and walkway;
- wrought iron fence and gate with central and corner brick gateposts on stone base on south and east elevations;
- galvanized Spanish metal roof tiles;
- symmetrical fenestration (double-hung sash design) and door pattern including two covered porches with square columns;
- original wood windows and storm windows.
Autorité de reconnaissance
Province de l'Alberta
Historical Resources Act
Type de reconnaissance
Ressource historique provinciale
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Exprimer la vie intellectuelle et culturelle
- L'architecture et l'aménagement
- Un territoire à peupler
- Les établissements
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Édifice à logements multiples
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
Alberta Culture and Community Spirit, Historic Resources Management Branch, Old St. Stephen's College, 8820 - 112 Street, Edmonton, AB T6G 2P8 (File: Des. 1179)
Réfère à une collection