Glen Williams Town Hall
1 Prince Street
Liens et documents
Date(s) de construction
1870/01/01 à 1871/01/01
Inscrit au répertoire canadien:
Description du lieu patrimonial
Glen Williams Town Hall, located at 1 Prince Street, is on the south side of Prince Street east of Main Street, in Glen Williams Town of Halton Hills. The one storey red clay brick building was constructed in 1871.
The property was designated by the Town of Halton Hills in 2008 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 2008-0004).
Glen Williams Town Hall is associated with the Good Templars of Royal Oak Temple who approached Charles Williams for a piece of land for a community hall which they could also use for their temperance society meetings. Charles Williams deeded the land to nine trustees to be held in trust for the community. Built from 1870 to 1871 by Georgetown builder Walter McKay, Glen Williams Town Hall has housed numerous societies, churches, political meetings and acted as a polling station for elections.
In the twentieth century the hall provided the stage for dances and Canadian author Lucy Maud Montgomery who staged many works there with her Union Dramatic Players. In 1949 classes opened in the Town Hall, and in 1953 the building was officially leased to the Board of Education. After the school was relocated, the Town Hall was returned to the community. In 1976, the Town Hall was restored and in 1981 it returned to the original system whereby trustees oversaw its administration. Annual elections are currently held to select these nine trustees who are the legal owners of the building during their time of office. Glen Williams Town Hall continues to play an important role in community life.
Glen Williams Town Hall is a good representation of the Colonial “Cape Cod” style built out of small, hand pressed red clay brick made just north of Glen Williams. The hall's small stature, symmetrical facade with central entrance and multi-paned windows reflect the Colonial “Cape Cod” style. Also in keeping with the style, the building has little ornamentation.
Source: Town of Halton Hills By-law 2008-0004.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of Glen Williams Town Hall include its:
- one storey red clay brick exterior
- 8.5 inch by 2.5 inch hand-pressed red clay brick
- gable roof
- 9 over 9 windows divided by wood muntins
- heavy wood window sill
- radiating voussoirs
- two wood entrance doors protected by a vestibule
- gable return
- plain bargeboard
Autorité de reconnaissance
Administrations locales (Ont.)
Loi sur le patrimoine de l'Ontario
Type de reconnaissance
Désignation du patrimoine municipal (partie IV)
Date de reconnaissance
Données sur l'histoire
Thème - catégorie et type
- Établir une vie sociale et communautaire
- L'organisation communautaire
Catégorie de fonction / Type de fonction
- Local pour association fraternelle, organisation sociale ou de bienfaisance
Architecte / Concepteur
Emplacement de la documentation
The Corporation of the Town of Halton Hills
Corporate Services Department - Clerks
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON
Réfère à une collection