34, Myrtleville Drive, City of Brantford, Ontario, N3V, Canada
Myrtleville House Museum
34 Myrtleville Drive
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Myrtleville House, located at 34 Myrtleville Drive, is situated on the north side of the road between Balmoral Drive and Heritage Road, in the City of Brantford. This two-storey clapboard building was designed in the classical Georgian style and was constructed in 1837.
The property was designated by the City of Brantford for its historic and architectural value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 153-81).
The Myrtleville House is significant for its association with the Good family. The original owners, Allen and Eliza Good, immigrated to Canada from Ireland and settled on the property, in 1837. The farmstead housed four generations of Goods, over 140 years. The Good family has been well known for their involvement in the political, social, and agricultural life of Brant County. William Charles Good (1876-1967) was one of the founding members of the United Farmers' Cooperative of Ontario, and, in 1914, served as the first president. In addition, he represented Brant in the House of Commons, from 1921 to 1925, and was awarded the title of Master Breeder by the Holstein-Friesian Association of Canada. In 1978, the Good family donated the farmhouse, its contents, and the three silos on site to the Heritage Canada Foundation. Upon donation the building was turned into a living museum of early 19th Century life. The Myrtleville house represents the establishment and evolution of a pioneer family and their farmstead.
The Myrtleville House is one of the oldest homesteads in Brant County. It's Georgian style is reflected in symmetrical design and proportions. The two-storey clapboard house features a five-bay front and two windows on either side of the central entranceway. The entrance is highlighted by a transom and sidelights. The interior layout of the ten rooms follows a centre hall plan. It is furnished with a variety of period pieces and heirlooms, some of which date back to the 1700's.
Sources: City of Brantford, By-Law 153-81
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Myrtleville House include its:
- clapboard exterior cladding
- classical proportions
- centre hall plan
- five-bay front with two windows on either side of a central entranceway
- entranceway transom and sidelights.
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1981/01/01 to 1981/01/01
1978/01/01 to 1978/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Brantford
100 Wellington Square,
Brantford, ON N3T 5R7
Cross-Reference to Collection