Description of Historic Place
The King's Ward Park, located on Broadway Street East, is bounded by Broadway Streets East and West and Charlotte Street, in the former Town of Paris, now the County of Brant. The property consists of a 0.92 acre park which was established in circa 1830.
The property was designated, by the former Town of Paris in 1993, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 12-93).
The King's Ward Park was given its name after Hiram Capron, the founder of the Town of Paris. Often referred to as “King”, upon his death, Capron bequeathed the Town of Paris a piece of land, which is now the park. When the boundaries were laid out for the property, in circa 1830, Capron had a vision of it being the centre for business and community affairs, and, in the 1860s, a market building was built. Although his vision was never fully realized, King's Ward Park remains an important landmark in the town.
As an integral part of the community, the park has hosted summer concerts, social and recreational activities, victory band campaigns and memorial services, for those who served in the World Wars.
Hiram Capron was a native of Vermont who originally immigrated to Norfolk County, in 1822. He settled in Brant County in 1829, established a grist mill and divided a tract of land. Capron, who served as both a Reeve and a Mayor to the Town of Paris, earned the nickname, “King” because of his leadership, dedication and numerous contributions to the Town.
Sources: Town of Paris, By-law 12-93; Reasons for designation, 1993.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the King's Ward Park include its:
- siting and location of the park on land that once belonged to Hiram “King” Capron, the park's namesake,
- plaque commemorating Hiram 'King” Capron
- minimal landscaping