4377, Route 13, Hunter River, Prince Edward Island, C0A, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The former forge in Hunter River is a rectangular wood framed building with a gable roof. It has wood shingle cladding, four-over-three windows, and a set of double doors. Located on Rennie's Road, Route 13, it remains as a surviving example of a former forge in Prince Edward Island.
The former forge is valued as an example of a blacksmith shop in Hunter River. It is the last of its type in the area. At one time, the village had eight forges or blacksmith shops. They supplied and repaired all the iron products associated with the use of horses for transportation and agricultural production.
Herbert "Herbie" MacLeod operated this shop in the early 1900s. After 1947, it was owned by George Earl Smith (1898-1992). In 1985, it was owned by J. Allan Smith. The current owners purchased it in 2004.
The building has a weathered appearance, but retains many of its original characteristics such as the fenestration of the windows and doors and interior elements. It remains an important heritage resource in the community of Hunter River.
Source: Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/H11
The heritage value of the building is shown in the following character-defining elements:
- the one-storey rectangular wood frame construction
- the wood shingle cladding
- the gable roof with brick chimney
- the fenestration of the windows and doors
Prince Edward Island
Province of Prince Edward Island
Heritage Places Protection Act
Registered Historic Place
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Technology and Engineering
Function - Category and Type
- Food Supply
- Farm Element
- Metal Products Manufacturing Facility
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Communities, Cultural Affairs and Labour, Charlottetown, PE C1A 7N8
File #: 4310-20/H11
Cross-Reference to Collection