Wheatland Regional Library
Former Canadian Northern Railway Station Grounds
Former Canadian Northern Railway Station
Links and documents
1912/01/01 to 1912/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Former Canadian National Railway Station is a Municipal Heritage Property located in the Town of Waldheim. The 0.09-hectare property includes the former station and its grounds. The wood-frame, 1912 former station features gabled and hipped rooflines, broad and bracketed eaves, and stucco cladding.
The Former Canadian National Railway Station, dating from 1912, is of heritage value for its role as the town’s railway station for more than 60 years. During the building’s early history it was of central importance to the community, providing passenger service, mail and freight handling, ticketing and telegram services. Additionally, it was the shipping point for cream, eggs and other farm produce. The station was built by the Canadian Northern Railway (CNoR) and became a station of the Canadian National Railway in 1920 when the CNoR was subsumed by this new company. The building remained in use by the railway until about 1976.
The heritage value of the property also resides in its architecture, which exemplifies a CNoR station from the early twentieth century. The building follows the C.No.R’s standard plan #100-29 for Third Class stations. This design was commonly used for the company’s stations in the small towns of Western Canada. About 80 stations were constructed in Saskatchewan between 1907 and 1917 following this plan, though few exist today. Characteristic of the plan were the combined station functions and living quarters for the agent. The ground floor was divided into public and private areas. The part of the ground floor facing the track included a waiting room and ticket office, with the other part comprising a living room and kitchen; the second storey consisted of bedrooms. The one-storey section of the building constituted the freight shed. Dominating the exterior are the broad overhanging eaves, which are braced by large triangular brackets. The building was re-clad with stucco in the late 1930s as part of a company programme to update its facilities.
Corporation of the Town of Waldheim Bylaw No. 2-83.
The heritage value of the Former Canadian National Railway Station resides in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements of the building which speak to its architectural design, such as its wood-frame construction, split one- and two-storey form with two lean-to extensions (kitchen and storage), stucco cladding, wood-shingled gable and hip roofs, broad and open eaves with exposed rafter tails and large supporting triangular brackets, fenestration with nine-over-one hung-sash windows and fixed multi-pane windows, two large freightshed doorways with battened doors and multi-pane transom lights, separate doorways to the living quarters and waiting room, projecting track-side bay window and the spatial arrangement of rooms;
-those elements which speak to the association of the station with the community, such as its siting on its original location within the town.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
1912/01/01 to 1976/12/31
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Communications and Transportation
Function - Category and Type
- Station or Other Rail Facility
Architect / Designer
Canadian Northern Railway Engineering Division
Location of Supporting Documentation
Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive
File: MHP 548
Cross-Reference to Collection