Apothecaries Hall National Historic Site of Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Apothecaries Hall National Historic Site of Canada is a three-storey brick building in downtown Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Built as an apothecary in 1900, it replaced an earlier building serving the same purpose. It now houses retail premises on the ground floor and offices on the upper two levels.
Apothecaries Hall was designated a national historic site of Canada because from 1810 to 1986 an apothecary shop was operated on this site, making it one of the oldest continually operated pharmacies in Canada.
The heritage value of this site resides in its historical association with one of Canada’s longest operating pharmacies and the building’s physical elements that accommodated that function.
Source: Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada, Minute, May 1969
Key elements that contribute to the heritage value of this site include:
- its corner site
- its rectangular, three-storey massing under a flat roof,
- its large retail windows at ground level
- its corner entry,
- its banded brick facing with decorative brick cornice,
- original interior elements including wood detailing and tin ceiling.
Government of Canada
Historic Sites and Monuments Act
National Historic Site of Canada
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Trade and Commerce
Function - Category and Type
- Commerce / Commercial Services
- Shop or Wholesale Establishment
- Multiple Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
National Historic Sites Directorate, Documentation Centre, 5th Floor, Room 89, 25 Eddy Street, Gatineau, Quebec
Cross-Reference to Collection
The DesBrisay Block or Apothecaries Hall, as it is more widely known, is a National Historic Site of Canada due to its association with a prominent 19th century Charlottetown…