Alex Lennie House
Bresaylor Heritage Museum
James Brown House
Links and documents
1907/01/01 to 1907/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Alex Lennie House is a Municipal Heritage Property occupying one lot in the former Village of Bresaylor within the Rural Municipality of Paynton No. 470. The property features a two-storey, wood-frame house built in 1907.
The heritage value of the Alex Lennie House lies in its status as the oldest building, and one of the few remaining buildings, on the Bresaylor townsite. The house was built in 1907 by Jack Reagan as a one-storey structure. By 1909, a second storey had been added to the structure. Today, the house stands as one of only a handful of structures in the former Village.
The heritage value of the Alex Lennie House also lies its varied historical uses within the community. James Sayers operated a butcher shop in the building from 1907 until sometime in the 1920s. During World War I, Bresaylor’s telegraph office was located in the building as well. It was during this period that the building first became a residence with Jack Reagan and Jim and Jessie Brown living on the second floor. The butcher shop closed in the late 1920s and the telegraph office moved to the train station at about the same time. Shortly thereafter, the building was purchased by Alex and Mary Lennie for use as a residence. The Lennies lived in the house until 1966.
The heritage value of the Alex Lennie House also lies in its association with "Little Joe" Sayers. In 1968, the house was purchased by Sayers who used the building to store antiques and family heirlooms. Sayers operated the house as an informal museum and made his intention clear that he wished the collection to be available for public viewing after his passing. Sayers died in 1982 and by early 1983, the Bresaylor Heritage Museum Association had been formed to take over responsibility for the collection and the building. The Bresaylor Heritage Museum now uses the Alex Lennie House for its primary exhibits.
The heritage value of the Alex Lennie House also lies in its status as a representative example of early-twentieth century vernacular architecture in Saskatchewan. The building’s utilitarian nature is reflected in its simple, rectangular form and wood-frame construction. The historical integrity of the interior floor plan and finishing materials contribute to its representative status.
Rural Municipality of Paynton No. 470 Bylaw 1-85.
The heritage value of the Alex Lennie House lies in the following character-defining elements:
-those elements that reflect the property’s status as the oldest remaining building on the Bresaylor townsite, such as its position on its original location;
-those elements that reflect its association with "Little Joe" Sayers, such as its current use as a museum;
-those elements that reflect the building’s vernacular architecture and its varied historical uses, such as its simple rectangular form, wood-frame construction, staircase, second-storey flooring and its interior floor plan on the lower level.
Local Governments (SK)
Heritage Property Act, s. 11(1)(a)
Municipal Heritage Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Saskatchewan Ministry of Tourism, Parks, Culture and Sport
Heritage Resources Branch
1919 Saskatchewan Drive , Regina, SK
File: MHP 762
Cross-Reference to Collection