St. Andrew's Church
St. Andrew's Anglican Church
Links and documents
1856/01/01 to 1856/12/31
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Andrew’s Anglican Church, built in 1856, is a small, one-and–one-half storey Gothic Revival country church sitting prominently near the edge of Highway 6 on the western outskirts of Wallace, Nova Scotia. Other than a few trees and bushes accenting the front of the modest building, there is nothing to block the view of the church’s Gothic gables and windows. The church overlooks homes that were built during the mid to late nineteenth century, and is backed by its cemetery and the Northumberland Strait. The municipal designation includes the building, cemetery and property.
The value of St. Andrew’s Anglican Church is found in its age and in its style which is representative of a typical country church of this age and area. Value also lies in its association with local historical figures.
St. Andrew’s Anglican Church was built by W. Stenson, J. Jamieson, and C.C. Jordison. Jordison was a leading shipbuilder of this area during the mid-nineteenth century, and managed one of the largest shipyards in Wallace, which contributed to the area’s economic prosperity. The sandstone in the foundation is believed to have come from a Wallace quarry. Wallace sandstone has a reputation for beauty and durability, and was shipped all over eastern and central Canada and the United States to build churches, universities, homes and government buildings. A few of the more notable buildings made from Wallace freestone include the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa, Province House in Halifax, Dalhousie University, Mount Allison University, and the Montreal Stock Exchange.
St. Andrew’s Anglican Church is a good example of the Gothic Revival style. The church’s main entry and all its windows are topped with the slightly-pointed arch that characterizes Gothic style buildings. The height of the gables and the steeply-pitched roofs are accentuated by the tall narrow lancet windows and the vertical lines of the board and batten siding. There is a small saddleback bell cote that houses the single bell and doubles as a steeple on the west gable peak. This type of belfry is unusual in Nova Scotia. Except for the Gothic features, the stained glass windows and the small belfry, this modest church is relatively unadorned.
Source: “Heritage Properties County, St. Andrew’s Anglican Church” File, Cumberland County Museum
Character-defining elements of St. Andrew’s Anglican Church include:
- original site, form and massing;
- sandstone foundation;
- board and batten siding;
- saddleback bell cote;
- entry in porch on south-facing non-gable side;
- cemetery and gravemarkers.
Character-defining Gothic Revival elements of St. Andrew’s Anglican Church include:
- one-and-one-half storey;
- steeply pitched roofs with return eave;
- tall, narrow gables of main roof, porch and chancel;
- lancet, stained glass windows;
- pointed-arch entry.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Philosophy and Spirituality
Function - Category and Type
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Religious Facility or Place of Worship
- Religion, Ritual and Funeral
- Mortuary Site, Cemetery or Enclosure
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
"Heritage Property County, St. Andrew's Anglican Church" File, Cumberland County Museum and Archives, 150 Church St, Amherst, NS B4H 3C4
Cross-Reference to Collection