101 Victoria Street
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
101 Victoria Street is a one-and-one-half storey wood frame Neo-classical style home. The building is located near the intersection of Victoria Street and Prince Albert Road in an area of designated heritage properties in Annapolis Royal, NS. Both the house and the property are included in the municipal heritage designation.
101 Victoria Street, as recognized by its municipal heritage designation, is valued for its contribution to the architectural landscape of the town; its association with historic personalities; and as a good example of the re-use of buildings within the town.
Located until 1863 on the southwest corner of the intersection of St. George Street and Albert Street, where the brick United Church of Canada stands today, this home dates to pre-1800 and possibly as early as 1750. The site has passed through numerous owners including: Erasmus James Phillips, Thomas Williams, Thomas Ritchie and James W. Johnston. An 1815 deed refers to the building as the "White House;" and it is possible that this is the building that lent its name to the "White House Field" - the land adjacent to Fort Anne reserved by the British government for military use in the mid-eighteenth century. In 1854 the White House Field was subdivided and sold as building lots which fronted the newly created Victoria Street. In light of this subdivision, several buildings were moved to other lots within the town to accommodate the new street.
Local carpenter Lothrop Whitman moved this house to its current location, Lot #18 on Victoria Street. It served briefly as the Methodist manse. From 1870 until 1912 it was the home of Augustus Fullerton, school teacher and customs officer. The family of George Rice, telephone manager, owned the property from 1926 until 1964.
101 Victoria Street is an example of the Neo-classical style as interpreted in Annapolis Royal. This is an important building within this community as it is one of the few buildings which may pre-date the Acadian deportation of 1755. Throughout its history, the house has undergone many alterations to ensure its relevant use. For instance, the original gable dormers were changed to a shed dormer in 1929 and an entry porch has been added; however the house has retained its original size, massing and symmetrical front elevation providing tangible evidence of its history. This house is also in keeping with other Neo-classical buildings in this community in the way that it has very little architectural decoration.
Source: Heritage Property Files, Map #110, 101 Victoria Street
Character-defining elements of 101 Victoria Street include:
- original one-and-one-half storey size and massing;
- wood frame construction;
- medium pitched gable roof;
- wood shingle cladding;
- double-hung wooden sash windows;
- symmetrical front elevation (partly hidden by porch) including central door;
- lack of architectural decoration.
Local Governments (NS)
Heritage Property Act
Municipally Registered Property
1863/01/01 to 1863/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Religious Institutions
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Annapolis Heritage Society,
136 St George Street,
Cross-Reference to Collection