399 Main Street, Shediac, New Brunswick, E4P, Canada
Musée Pascal Poirier
Links and documents
1820/01/01 to 1830/01/01
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Pascal Poirier House Provincial Historic Site consists of a traditional 19th Century vernacular one and a half storey gabled house and property located at 399 Main Street in the Town of Shediac.
The Pascal Poirier House was the birthplace and home of Pascal Poirier (1852 - 1933), a prominent Acadian leader and author who became the first Acadian to be appointed a Canadian senator.
After completion of his studies at the College Saint- Joseph in Memramcook, Pascal Poirier was appointed Postmaster of the Dominion Parliament in 1872. He held this position until his appointment to the Canadian Senate on March 9, 1885. In 1933, at the time of his death, he was the eldest Senator.
The building is an early Acadian house which dates to circa 1825. It is purported to be the oldest house in Town of Shediac.
Source: New Brunswick Culture and Sport Secretariat, Heritage Branch, Site File.
The front grounds along Main Street consisting of a grassed area with walkway. The exterior character defining elements include:
19th Century architectural elements including the early 19th century front entrance with sidelights and transom;
- original 19th century glass in all windows;
- late 19th century exterior elements and finishes including the verandah along the front and west end of house, with glassed-in entrance porch;
- mid 19th Century neo-classical wide corner boards.
The interior character defining elements include:
- early 19th century hand-hewn structure;
- traditional centre hall plan, with a back ell;
- plaster cornice and centre medallion of front west room;
- low interior doors and door openings.
Province of New Brunswick
Historic Sites Protection Act, s. 2(1)
Historic Sites Protection Act – Historic
1885/01/01 to 1885/01/01
1852/01/01 to 1933/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Governing Canada
- Politics and Political Processes
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Heritage Branch - Site File 32, Pascal-Poirier House
Cross-Reference to Collection