Home / Accueil

St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church

118 Hunter Street, City of Peterborough, Ontario, K9H, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1977/06/06

St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church, 2004; City of Peterborough, 2004
St. John the Evangelist church
No Image
No Image

Other Name(s)


Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

1834/01/01 to 1837/01/01

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2004/07/30

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Situated at the top of the hill facing Hunter Street in Peterborough, St John’s is an early English Gothic Revival style church built of local stone. It is recognized for its heritage value by City of Peterborough Bylaw 1977-78. It also is governed by an Ontario Heritage Foundation conservation easement.

Heritage Value

The heritage value of St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church is as the oldest church in Peterborough, being in continuous use since 1834. It is among the earliest Anglican churches in British North America that were built in stone using a Gothic Revival design. Using stone from a local quarry, it is an excellent example of an early English Gothic Revival structure. Construction commenced in 1834 and the first service was held in the unfinished building in 1836. The first rector was the Reverend R.H. D’Olier, a native of Dublin, Ireland. Architect John W. Howard’s standard design for a small church was customized for Peterborough by Kingston architect, William Coverdale.The building underwent extensive renovations in 1852 and 1882 under the directions of Kivas Tully and John E. Belcher, respectively. Other noted architects such as William Blackwell, and the firm of Craig and Zeidler have done work on the church throughout the century. Source: City of Peterborough Bylaw 1977-78 and background report.

Character-Defining Elements

Key elements that contribute to the heritage value of the early English Gothic Revival style of St. John's church include: -cruciform plan with a square bell tower projecting from the center of the front, three bay façade;-main entrance through the tower, surrounded by a shallow dressed stone portico;-parapet gabled roof;-four original windows on each side of the nave with ogee arches;-buttresses decorated with dressed stone quoins;-battlement or crenellation tower top;-People’s Chime, a set of 13 bells; -stained glass windows on all façades




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1852/01/01 to 1852/01/01
1882/01/01 to 1882/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Function - Category and Type



Religion, Ritual and Funeral
Religious Facility or Place of Worship

Architect / Designer

John W. Howard


Joseph Scobell

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Heritage Preservation Office, City of Peterborough, City Hall, File 1977-78

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places