Description of Historic Place
Derry Bay is a two-storey, stucco, Dutch Colonial residence with the distinctive gambrel roof with flared eaves. Built in 1924, this front-facing gable residence is located on Joe’s Point Road in St. Andrews.
Derry Bay is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with the architects Maxwell and Pitts and for its association with its original owner, George Horne Russell.
Built in 1924 and designed by famed architects Maxwell and Pitts, Derry Bay is an excellent example of the Dutch Colonial style. The primary characteristic of this style is the Dutch gambrel roof with flared eaves. A total of 224 small square panes of glass in the windows of the front façade alone provide northern light to the interior of the home. The hipped-roof, multi-light artist's studio is a unique addition to the residence.
Derry Bay was the first of two homes designed in St. Andrews by partners Maxwell and Pitts. Brothers William and Edward Maxwell designed many summer cottages together in St. Andrews. After Edward’s death in 1923 William Maxwell formed a partnership with Gordon Pitts. William S. Maxwell, of Montreal, was made a Fellow of the Royal Institute of British architects and appointed President of the Royal Architectural institute of Canada. He was a member and Vice-President of the Royal Canadian Academy, President of the Association of Architects of the Province of Quebec, founder of the Arts Club of Montreal and member of the Beaux-Arts School of Design of New York.
Derry Bay was custom designed for noted artist George Horne Russell. Mr. Russell was born in 1861 in Banff, Scotland and emigrated from Scotland to Montreal in 1889, summering in St. Andrews. Russell was at the height of his career immediately after WWI and, for four years throughout the 1920's, was president of the Royal Canadian Academy. Russell did a good deal of his painting at St. Andrews. When this well-lit home overlooking the harbour of St. Andrews was constructed, he worked from the studio attached to this home. Marine murals painted by Mr. Russell are displayed on the walls of this St. Andrews home. Many of his paintings involved marine settings and, in 1917, the CPR produced an illustrated booklet entitled ‘St. Andrews By-The-Sea’ with Russell providing the artwork. From his St. Andrews base, he traveled throughout the Maritimes and captured the area in his paintings. Russell’s marine art is an important regional contribution within the Maritimes, the artistic abilities of his work assisting in initiating tourism within this region. Russell passed away in 1933 and is buried in St. Andrews. George’s son, Norman Russell, maintained the home until he sold it in 1950. Norman was a WWI pilot and became his father’s assistant. He proved skilful in the restoration of his father’s paintings.
Source: Charlotte County Archives – Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick – St. Andrews Historic Places File, “Derry Bay”
The character-defining elements of this Dutch Colonial residence include:
- front-facing Dutch gambrel roof;
- flared eaves with returns;
- window placement and proportions;
- semi-circular attic vent;
- two sets of paired casement windows on the upper storey of the primary façade;
- large four-part casement windows consisting of 40 panes on the lower storey;
- stone chimney.
- hipped shingle roof with moulded soffit and brackets over entrance;
- horizontal transom window with ornate design;
- wooden Christian door;
- stone walkway.
- multiple-light casement windows;
- shed dormer with casement windows.
- hipped roof;
- alternate entrance surrounded by 60 panes;
- shed dormer covering upper part of an 80 pane window.
- collection of marine murals painted by George Horne Russell.