148 Prince of Wales Street, St Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Built in 1907, Rosemount is a two storey, wood, Shingle Style residence on Prince of Wales Street in St. Andrews.
Rosemount is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with the architects who designed it.
Rosemount was built in 1907 and designed by Edward and William Maxwell. The architectural practice of brothers Edward and William Maxwell was among the most important in Canada during the early decades of the 20th century. Their works still hold a place of prominence in Canada and include the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts and the Birks store in Montreal, the Saskatchewan Parliament in Regina, and the Palliser Hotel in Calgary. The Maxwell period in Canada extended from 1892 until 1939 and spanned the late Victorian, Edwardian and early modern eras. The most vital period was from 1902 until 1923 when the two brothers worked together. At the peak of their career they were the largest and most prominent architectural firm in Canada, employing as many as 56 draftsmen. Rosemount is a good example of the Shingle Style of residential architecture. Like many of Maxwell's summer residences, this home was designed with a large wrap around veranda and has large eaves. The hipped roof with exposed rafter tails under the eaves and large square entrance pillars reflect influences of the Craftsman style. The tri-part windows in the front façade are also typical of this style.
Rosemount is also recognized for its association with its original owner, Charles F. Smith. Mr. Smith was born in Aldershot, England in 1841 and first came to St. Andrews with his regiment in 1861 during the American Civil War. He eventually moved to Montreal and bought the leather firm of Ames, Holder, and McCready, becoming a director of the firm. He had many friends among Montreal's elite including Sir William Van Horne who had a summer residence on Minister's Island in St. Andrews. Mr. Smith had this home constructed in 1907 but had little time to enjoy his summers here as he passed away in 1911. Montreal merchant Edward MacKay purchased the home and spent his summers here until his death in the 1940's.
Source: Charlotte County Archives – Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick – St. Andrews Historic Places File, “Rosemount”
The character-defining elements of this Shingle Style residence include:
- rectangular massing;
- window placement and proportions;
- triple-set windows;
- fancy shingling below eaves;
- hipped roof with dove tails and exposed rafters;
- eyebrow dormer window;
- Maxwell signature eyebrow curved shingling;
- upper storey balcony with eyebrow arched roof;
- entrance in upper storey balcony equipped with transom window and sidelights;
- large wraparound veranda;
- veranda roof above entrance with symmetrical eyebrow arch in proportion with the arches above the balcony and above dormer;
- large square stone pillars which support the veranda roof and flank the entryway.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Building Social and Community Life
- Social Movements
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Edward and William Maxwell
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick
Cross-Reference to Collection