31 Water Street, St Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Red Cliff is a single-storey, wooden, Georgian residence, possibly built sometime between 1810 and 1830. It is set back on Water Street overlooking Penobscot Bay in the Town of St. Andrews.
Red Cliff is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture and for its association with its past occupants.
The actual construction date of Red Cliff is uncertain yet local lore suggests it was home to military personnel during the War of 1812 and is located along the shore near one of St. Andrews’ old forts. James Boyd, a noted military figure that moved to St. Andrews from Halifax in response to the war, did have possession of this land and sold the same in 1851. In 1855, Benjamin Robert Stevenson obtained the property and a mid-1870’s map indicates that Mr. Stevenson was living here at that time. Mr. Stevenson was a man of considerable means and owned a luxurious home in St. Andrews before selling it in 1871. Red Cliff may have been his alternate home with a beautiful view of St. Andrews harbour. Mr. Stevenson was a Member of Legislature, in 1871 became Attorney General of New Brunswick and later became Surveyor General. With this latter position he played a leading role in developing the small Scottish and Irish settlements within Charlotte County by piloting an act which provided free grants of land to new settlers. Mr. Stevenson passed away in 1890 and his widow and daughter sold the home to Andrew Young of Houlton, Maine, in 1902. Through much of the 20th century, the home has served as a summer residence and rental.
Architecturally, this home is a good example of a small Georgian home. Many of the smaller Georgian homes do not exist today in their original form, making this home a rare example of this reduced adaptation of the style. The focal characteristics are the hipped roof and symmetrical façade with single windows flanking the central entranceway. The home still maintains the distinctive fanlight transom window above the entranceway. The side of the home is at the water’s edge and is set upon a high foundation overlooking the St. Andrew’s harbour.
Source: Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick - St Andrews Historic Places File, "Red Cliff - 31 Water Street"
The character-defining elements of Red Cliff include:
- single-storey rectangular massing;
- wood shingle cladding;
- window and entrance placement and proportions;
- hipped roof;
- wood paneled door with fanlight transom window;
- high foundation;
- placement and orientation overlooking St. Andrews Harbour.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Governing Canada
- Politics and Political Processes
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick
Cross-Reference to Collection