Home / Accueil

Hyde Mill Ruins

0, Ontario Street, City of Mississauga, Ontario, L5M, Canada

Formally Recognized: 1992/07/15

Featured are the walls of squared rubble and staggered brick.; Paul Dubniak, 2008.
North Facade, Hyde Mill Ruins, 2008
Featured is the position of the ruins on the banks of Credit River.; Paul Dubniak, 2008.
West Facade, Hyde Mill Ruins, 2008
Featured is one of the window openings.; Paul Dubniak, 2008.
Detailed View, Hyde Mill Ruins, 2008

Other Name(s)

Hyde Mill Ruins
Stone Foundations of Hyde's Mill
Ontario Mills
69 Church Street
0 Ontario Street East

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)


Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/09/24

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

The Hyde Mill Ruins are located at 0 Ontario Street East, at the foot of Ontario Street East, in Streetsville, in Mississauga. The ruins are of a one-storey stone and brick building that was constructed in circa 1840.

The City of Mississauga designated the property, in 1992, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 360-92).

Heritage Value

Located at the foot of Ontario Street on the banks of the Credit River, the Hyde Mill Ruins were significant to the establishment of both John Hyde's Ontario Mills and the first municipally-owned hydro-electric power plant.

The Hyde Mill Ruins reflect the significant role the milling industry had in the development of Streetsville and its contribution to hydro-electric power. It was the area's first hydro-electric station. Built in circa 1840 by American immigrant, John Hyde, it was one of the later mills to be established in Streetsville. When established the mills were at the height of technology and included a saw mill, grist mill and barracks for the workmen.

The success of John Hyde's Ontario Mills came to a halt when the mill was destroyed by fire in 1867. The site was revived in 1906 with the building of a dam across the Credit River and conversion of the mill to generate electricity. It was the first municipally-owned power plant and supplied Streetsville with hydro-electric power until 1943, when the village joined Ontario Hydro. The power plant continued to provide auxiliary power until 1960.

Of the original mill complex only the ruins of the stone walls remain today. The walls and foundation are of squared rubble, reinforced with both concrete and staggered brick. On the north elevation, openings for a door and two windows remain. The ruins serve as a reminder of the industrial heritage of the Credit Valley.

Source: City of Mississauga By-law 360-92.

Character-Defining Elements

Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Hyde Mill Ruins include its:
- location on the Banks of the Credit River
- one-storey stone and brick exterior
- door opening
- two window openings




Recognition Authority

Local Governments (ON)

Recognition Statute

Ontario Heritage Act

Recognition Type

Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)

Recognition Date


Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

1906/01/01 to 1906/01/01
1867/01/01 to 1867/01/01

Theme - Category and Type

Developing Economies
Technology and Engineering

Function - Category and Type


Undetermined (archaeological site)
Exposed Site


Wood and/or Paper Manufacturing Facility
Power Generation Facility

Architect / Designer




Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

City of Mississauga Planning & Heritage Community Services 201 City Centre Drive, Suite 900 Mississauga, Ontario L5B 2T4

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier




Related Places



Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Nearby Places