Home / Accueil

Rogers Residence

154 Queen Street, St Andrews, New Brunswick, E5B, Canada

Formally Recognized: 2009/07/06

This photograph illustrates the contextual view of the building, 2009; Town of St. Andrews
Rogers Residence - Contextual view
This photograph illustrates the single-storey bay window, 2009; Town of St. Andrews
Rogers Residence - Bay window
No Image

Other Name(s)

n/a

Links and documents

Construction Date(s)

Listed on the Canadian Register: 2009/10/01

Statement of Significance

Description of Historic Place

Built circa 1871, the Rogers Residence is a wooden two-storey, Greek Revival residence with a front-facing gable roof and an off-centred entrance. It is located on Queen Street in the Town of St. Andrews.

Heritage Value

The Rogers Residence is designated a Local Historic Place for its architecture, for its association with its past occupants and for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in the Town of St. Andrews.

The Rogers Residence is recognized as being a good example of Greek Revival residential architecture. The property has a front-facing gable with returned eaves. It has an off-centred entrance balanced by a single one-storey bay window.

The Rogers Residence is also recognized for its association with its past occupants. Research suggests that the property was built circa 1871 for widowed school teacher, Mrs. Charlotte Rodgers. The 1881 census shows her 23-year-old daughter, Ellen, also a school teacher, residing here with her. They remained here until 1886 before moving to New Westminster, British Columbia. Ellen graduated from the Charlotte County Grammar School. She taught school in Chamcook, Moore’s Mills, and St. Andrews before moving to New Westminster where she was principal of the Girl’s Central School in that city for 30 years.

The Rogers Residence is also recognized for being a contributing element to the array of heritage buildings in the St. Andrews Historic District National Historic Site of Canada. St. Andrews has one of the best collections per capita of heritage buildings in Canada that range from the early thriving loyalist days of the late 1700’s to the Maxwell designed homes of the town’s early tourism era in the late 1800’s, early 1900’s. As of 2001 the population of St. Andrews was less than 2,000 inhabitants. Much credit is due to the inhabitants of the town for maintaining this collection and preserving the town’s serene and relaxed atmosphere.

Source: Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, New Brunswick - St. Andrews Historic Places File, “Rogers Residence”

Character-Defining Elements

The character-defining elements of the Rogers Residence include:
- rectangular two-storey plan;
- front-facing gable roof with eave returns;
- window placement and proportions;
- single-storey semi-octagonal bay window;
- corner boards;
- wood cladding;
- entranceway entablature.

Recognition

Jurisdiction

New Brunswick

Recognition Authority

Local Governments (NB)

Recognition Statute

Local Historic Places Program

Recognition Type

Municipal Register of Local Historic Places

Recognition Date

2009/07/06

Historical Information

Significant Date(s)

n/a

Theme - Category and Type

Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
Architecture and Design
Building Social and Community Life
Education and Social Well-Being

Function - Category and Type

Current

Residence
Single Dwelling

Historic

Architect / Designer

n/a

Builder

n/a

Additional Information

Location of Supporting Documentation

Charlotte County Archives - Old Gaol, St. Andrews, N. B.

Cross-Reference to Collection

Fed/Prov/Terr Identifier

1812

Status

Published

Related Places

General view

St. Andrews Historic District National Historic Site of Canada

The St. Andrews Historic District comprises the original part of the present town of St. Andrews, New Brunswick. It is laid out as a grid of sixty blocks running back from the…

SEARCH THE CANADIAN REGISTER

Advanced SearchAdvanced Search
Find Nearby PlacesFIND NEARBY PLACES PrintPRINT
Nearby Places