Carroll's Crossing School
468 Carroll's Crossing Road, Upper Miramichi Rural Community, New Brunswick, E9C, Canada
St. John's Anglican Church Hall
Carroll's Crossing School
Salle paroissiale de l'église anglicane de St. John
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Carroll's Crossing School is situated in a rural setting on the road bend on the south side of Carroll's Crossing Road in the Rural Community of Upper Miramichi. It is vernacular in design bearing elements of Greek Revival architecture.
Carroll's Crossing School is designated a Local Historic Place for its historic functions within the community. This place was built prior to 1876 and was a school for children in the immediate area. It is a reminder of bygone days of the one-room schoolhouse. Its design is consistent with rural schools constructed prior to the turn of the 20th century in rural New Brunswick. It also functioned as a place of important community meetings outside of school use and as a local courtroom for local justice-of-the-peace, Arthur O'Donnell.
An addition to the north end was completed in later years due to a growing population that required a larger building to house the students. The addition included a cloak room, separated by gender, and a second classroom to accommodate students of earlier years. The local train station, separated by a very short distance to the school, was frequented by scheduled train service and it was strictly forbidden for pupils' eyes to wander out the windows irrespective of the temptation. It was closed in the 1950's at which time children were bussed to a larger facility.
This place is also valued for its use in later years as a church hall for the St. John's Anglican Church, which is situated nearby. The Womens' Auxiliary of this congregation held their meetings here.
Source: Rural Community of Upper Miramichi, Community Office Site File# 09-09
The character-defining elements associated with the Carroll's Crossing School include:
- form and massing consistent with mid-19th century schoolhouses in rural New Brunswick;
- proximity to the site of the former train station and to the St. John's Anglican Church;
- balanced placement of narrow and elongated windows;
- lack of window placement in end wall to accommodate blackboard;
- sheathed in white pine boards;
- clad in clapboard siding;
- narrow corner boards with capitals;
- pediment over the entrance;
- mortared fieldstone foundation.
Local Governments (NB)
Local Historic Places Program
Municipal Register of Local Historic Places
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
- Building Social and Community Life
- Education and Social Well-Being
Function - Category and Type
- Social, Benevolent or Fraternal Club
- Office or office building
- Courthouse and/or Registry Office
- One-Room School
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Rural Community of Upper Miramichi, Community Office, 6342 Route # 8, Unit 2, Boiestown, NB, E6A 1Z5
Cross-Reference to Collection