John H. Clark House
108, Robinson Street, Town of St. Marys, Ontario, N4X, Canada
John H. Clark House
108 Robinson Street
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The John H. Clark House is located at 108 Robinson Street and is situated on the west side of Robinson Street, on the west bank of the Thames River, in the Town of St. Marys. The one-storey buff-brick residence and the rubble-limestone carriage house were constructed in circa 1870.
The property was designated, by the Town of St. Marys, in 1987, for its architectural value or interest, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 36-1987).
The John H. Clark House is prominently situated on the southwest corner of a large lot overlooking the Thames River. The house, lot and rubble-limestone carriage house are reminiscent of estates built in the 1800's. Its presence creates a visual link to the past.
The John H. Clark House was constructed in circa 1870 as a retirement home for John Henry Clark, a retired Irish farmer. It is thought that this home was a copy of an earlier residence owned by Clark that was located west of Rannoch, in the then Blanshard Township.
The John H. Clark House is a fine example of a small-scale residence with Regency influences. The house features a simple symmetrical plan with large window openings and shutters on the facade, as well as a recessed central door, which is framed by sidelights and a transom. Other noteworthy features include the enclosed veranda, which spans the north and west elevations and the cornice, which is situated beneath the roofline.
Sources: Town of St. Marys, By-law 36-1987; Reasons for Designation, 1987.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the John H. Clark House include its:
- prominent situation on a large lot overlooking the Thames River
- rubble-limestone carriage house
- one-storey buff-brick construction
- symmetrical plan
- large window openings
- 6 over 6 windows
- recessed central door with sidelights and transom
- cornice below the roofline
- enclosed veranda which spans the north and west elevations
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Multiple Dwelling
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of St. Marys
P.O. Box 998
175 Queen St. East
St. Marys, Ontario
Cross-Reference to Collection