Bradley House Museum Complex
The Lewis Bradley Pioneer Museum
1620 Orr Road
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Bradley Museum is located at 1620 Orr Road, on the south side of Orr Road east of Bob-O-Link Road, in the former village of Clarkson, now the City of Mississauga. The Bradley Museum consists of three buildings; the Bradley House, a one-and-a-half storey residence built in circa 1830, The Anchorage, a one-and-a-half storey building clad in clapboard and built in circa 1830 and a Log Cabin built in circa 1850.
The Bradley Museum, specifically the Bradley House and The Anchorage, were designated by the City of Mississauga in 1983, for their heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 477-77.
The Bradley Museum features three buildings that showcase the history of the former village of Clarkson, which was settled in 1808. Clarkson became part of Mississauga in 1968. The Bradley House is associated with the Bradley family and represents the lifestyles of some of Clarkson's earliest settlers in the 19th century. The house built in circa 1830 is the second home of the Bradley Family. The Bradley House is a well-preserved example of a salt-box style farmhouse. The simple gable structure with its roof-line extension represents many settlers' homes. It has a neoclassical flair with box-like symmetry, a hip roof and simple mouldings. The entrance is also designed in typical neoclassical style with decorative pilasters and a transom.
The Log Cabin built in circa 1850 was located in Mono Mills. In 1967 the building was moved to Port Credit to be used for scouting activities by the Port Credit Rovers and Scouts. In 2007, the building was reconstructed on the Bradley Museum property for programming activities and events. The Log Cabin is an example of the first homes used by pioneer settlers. It was built as a quick and easy, interim shelter for early settler families to occupy. It uses 16 and 20 foot logs that have been squared, grooved and peaked. Holes were drilled vertically through the logs at the corners for the oak pegs.
The Anchorage is said to have been designed by James W. Taylor in circa 1830. It was sold to John Skynner, a retired Royal Navy Captain, who gave the house its name. It earned the title of “The Anchorage” because, in its original location, it was one of the two dozen or so sheltered areas along Lake Ontario where schooners could take refuge. The house was moved to the museum property in 1978. The Anchorage is a good representation of a Regency style house with its one-and-a-half storey height, five-bay façade, square plan and hip roof with broad projecting eaves. It has a fine neoclassical entrance with sidelights and engaged pilasters. Interior features of interest include the room layout on the ground floor, the mid-nineteenth century centre arch in the hall, the staircase to the second floor, an original mantelpiece and original baseboards and trim.
Two outbuildings are also on the site, a barn and a driveshed. These buildings also contributed to a typical early 19th century rural lifestyle.
Source: City of Mississauga By-law 477-77.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Bradley Museum includes the:
- Bradley House, a salt-box style farmhouse
- Anchorage, a one-and-a-half storey clapboard sheathed Regency style house
- log cabin, with squared logs and oak pegs
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1850/01/01 to 1850/01/01
1967/01/01 to 1967/01/01
1968/01/01 to 1968/01/01
1983/01/01 to 1983/01/01
2007/01/01 to 2007/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
James W. Taylor
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Mississauga
Planning and Heritage
201 City Centre Dr.
Cross-Reference to Collection