Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
46 Mornington Street is on the west side of Mornington Street, north of Hibernia Street in the City of Stratford. The original rear section of the home was constructed in 1853 and the front section was constructed as a major addition in 1863.
The property was designated by the City of Stratford in 1985 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 105-85).
46 Mornington Street is associated with several prominent Stratford citizens. Colonel W. F. McCulloch originally owned the land on which the home was built. He was instrumental in the development of Stratford by building many of the first mills and commercial properties on the north side of Ontario Street.
In 1853 the architect Peter Ferguson bought the property from McCulloch and built the original two storey structure that would become the rear of the house. The property was located across the street from the first Perth County Courthouse which Ferguson also designed and is considered his prized work.
In 1863 he sold the house to Thomas J. Birch who hired Thomas Orr, a local builder and architect, to build a one storey cottage addition on the front of the original structure. Birch operated a local hardware store and was active in town affairs including the founding of the Town's first local fire company. He was one of the first Deacons of the Ontario Street Baptist Church, which he had helped to form.
The original and now rear section of the present house is a two storey red brick structure supported by cedar beams found nowhere else in the home. It was one of the earliest brick buildings in Stratford. Originally it had three small rooms on the first storey and three small rooms on the second with an extremely narrow staircase leading to the second storey.
The front and newer section of the house was added in 1863 and is an excellent example of the Regency Cottage architectural style. Typical of this style is the symmetrical facade with buff brick quoins and frieze below the roofline. The original double hung, six over six windows are still in place with buff brick surrounds and shutters. The main entrance is decorated with sidelights, transom and lantern. A small Greek Revival portico with Doric Columns, pilasters and arched copper-clad roof was added in 1948.
Source: City of Stratford, By-law 105-85.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of 46 Mornington Street include its:
- one storey red brick exterior of front portion
- two storey red brick exterior of rear portion
- hip roof
- two ornate brick chimney
- buff brick window and entrance surrounds, quoins, frieze, voussoirs and sills
- six over six double hung windows and shutters
- projecting eaves
- Greek Revival portico with Doric Columns, pilasters and arched copper clad roof
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
1863/01/01 to 1863/01/01
1948/01/01 to 1948/01/01
Theme - Category and Type
- Expressing Intellectual and Cultural Life
- Architecture and Design
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
City of Stratford
Office of the City Clerk Administrator
1 Wellington Street
Cross-Reference to Collection