475, Guelph, Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada
475 Guelph Street
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
Lilac Lawns, located at 475 Guelph Street, is on the north side of Guelph Street, west of Winston Churchill Boulevard, in Norval, Town of Halton Hills. The two storey red brick dwelling was constructed circa 1854.
The property was designated by the Town of Halton Hills in 1996 for its heritage value under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act (By-law 1996-0171).
Note: interior features of this home have also been designated under By-Law 2008-0139.
Lilac Lawns, constructed circa 1854, is a two storey red brick Classical Revival dwelling typical in Ontario between 1830 and 1860. It has a side gable roof with moderate pitch and an original interior end chimney on the east side of the dwelling. The centrally located front entrance is deeply recessed, surrounded by decorative wooden panels and flanked by two 6 over 6 light, double hung windows on either side of the front door. The original front porch was removed and replaced by a concrete stoop which is evidenced in the brickwork above the entrance. Other notable alterations include an 1863 rear kitchen and an Edwardian side porch.
The landscape of the property is highlighted by the 128-year-old lilac trees, for which the property is named.
Source: The Town of Halton Hills, By-law No. 1996-0171.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of Lilac Lawns, Halton Hills include its:
- two storey red brick construction
- moderate pitch side gable roof
- interior end chimney
- cinder block chimney
- denticulated cornice
- 6 over 6 light, double hung windows
- centrally located windows
- rectangular transom above door
- Edwardian side porch
- rear kitchen
- original glass in windows
- lilac trees
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Peopling the Land
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
The Corporation of the Town of Halton Hills
Corporate Services Department - Clerks
1 Halton Hills Drive
Halton Hills, ON
Cross-Reference to Collection