5164 The Grange Sideroad
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Cunnington-Osborne Complex is located at 5164 The Grange Sideroad, on the north side of The Grange Sideroad, east of St. Andrew's Road, in the Town of Caledon. The complex includes a one-and-a-half storey mid-19th century frame farmhouse, an octagonal barn (1894) and a drive shed.
The property was designated, by the Town of Caledon in 1994, for its heritage value, under Part IV of the Ontario Heritage Act, By-law 94-55.
The Cunnington-Osborne Complex is associated with Daniel and Ellen Jane Cunnington who moved onto the property in the late 1880s. Although all of the components of the complex are significant, the octagonal barn, built in 1894 by Daniel Cunnington, is most remarkable. It is the last remaining barn of this style in the Town of Caledon. Octagonal barns became popular in Ontario in the late 19th century. The shape provided additional floor space and the use of light timber framing resulted in cheaper construction costs. Promoted largely for their practicality for agricultural purposes, the octagonal style also had a religious basis, as the lack of corners meant there was nowhere for the devil to hide.
The stone foundation of the Cunnington-Osborne octagonal barn is built into a steep slope, which acts as a natural ramp to the upper hay level. The barn superstructure is constructed of milled lumber, and the walls are clad in vertical board and batten. The octagonal lantern and lower medium slope main roof are clad in metal sheathing; a modest lightning rod or weather vane post is located at the roof peak.
The Cunnington-Osborne farmhouse is a good representation of an early vernacular frame farmhouse that has evolved over time. Although the exact date of construction is unknown, the house displays an 1850s ambiance. The house features a gable roof, three bay front facade, centre door with simple surround and a veranda wrapping around the south (front) and west elevations. Additions on the east and north elevations include a kitchen wing. Although the additions maintain the style of the original building, the windows and three chimneys illustrate the evolution of the house, reflecting the style of the period in which they were constructed.
The Cunnington-Osborne drive shed is a rectangular structure of squared timber framing, with a high gable roof. Access is provided through three double shed-door entrances located on the south façade. The side and rear walls are set on a shallow rubble stone foundation and are clad in vertical board.
Source: Town of Caledon By-law 94-55.
Character defining elements that contribute to the heritage value of the Cunnington-Osborne Complex include its:
- site layout including the farmhouse, octagonal barn and drive shed
- farmhouse which includes its:
- one-and-a-half-storey frame and siding exterior
- medium gable roof
- central entrance
- horizontal board siding
- three bay front facade
- veranda with plank deck
- veranda post brackets with decorative wood design
- east elevation addition
- north elevation kitchen wing
- north elevation fieldstone chimney
- west elevation brick chimney
- metal stack chimney
- barn which includes its:
- situation built into a steep slope
- octagonal shape
- octagonal lantern and medium slope roof
- vertical board and batten exterior
- lighting or weather vane post
- stone foundation
- drive shed which includes its:
- squared timber frame and vertical board exterior
- high gable roof
- three double door entrances
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
- Developing Economies
- Extraction and Production
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
- Food Supply
- Barn, Stable or Other Animal Housing
Architect / Designer
Location of Supporting Documentation
Town of Caledon
Planning and Development
6311 Old Church Road
Cross-Reference to Collection