Dr. Charles W. Hoare House
Dr. C. W. Hoare House
Links and documents
Listed on the Canadian Register:
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
The Dr. Charles W. Hoare House, located at 2088 Willistead Crescent, is a two-and-a-half storey, Tudor Revival style dwelling built in 1928. The house is situated on the south side of Willistead Crescent, in the former Town of Walkerville, now east Windsor.
It is recognized for its heritage value by the City of Windsor By-law 307-2001.
The Dr. Charles W. Hoare House is associated with local physician Dr. Charles Hoare. It is a well preserved example of a Tudor Revival style home, and is illustrative of the fine homes being constructed in the former Town of Walkerville in the early decades of the twentieth century.
Dr. Hoare was very active in both civic affairs and the medical profession. He was appointed treasurer of Walkerville at its inception - a position he held until 1916. He was elected mayor in 1917, and he also helped found the Walkerville utilities commission. In addition, he was the first chair of the Board of Health; he was president of Hotel-Dieu staff, and he helped found Metropolitan General Hospital.
The plans for the Dr. Charles W. Hoare house were drawn by renowned local architects Nichols, Sheppard and Masson in 1927. Built in 1928, the two-and-a-half storey residence is an example of a well-preserved Tudor Revival style home. It features many characteristics typical of the Tudor Revival style including its asymmetrical massing, ornamental half-timbering, and its use of different building materials such as cast stone trim, brick, and stucco. Many of the features found at the Dr. Charles W. Hoare House, both exterior and interior, are original, adding to its heritage value. The coach house, also built in 1928, still remains at the rear of the property.
The Dr. Charles W. Hoare House was built in Walkerville when fine residential development was spreading southward from the core area of Walkerville; this was known as the second phase of development. At this time the sons of founder Hiram Walker were developing their land between Wyandotte and Richmond Streets. They promoted the area as a fine residential neighbourhood that focused on St. Mary's Church and Willistead Manor. Lots were sold only to those who could build homes of at least 3500 square feet, which guaranteed an upscale neighbourhood. The Dr. Charles W. Hoare House is located within this area, and remains a testament to the quality and grandeur of the homes built in the former Town of Walkerville in the beginning of the twentieth century.
Sources: The City of Windsor By-law 307-2001, September 4, 2001; Building Analysis Form, November 2000.
Character defining elements that embody the heritage value of the Dr. Charles W. Hoare House include its:
- two-and-a-half storey structure
- ornamental half-timbering
- asymmetrical massing
- steep gable roof
- numerous prominent gables
- large ornamental chimneys
- expansive windows with small panes
- mix of materials, including cast stone trim, red brick, and stucco
- copper eaves troughs and downspouts with rosette motif
- diamond paned leaded glass windows
- arched masonry entranceway
- richly detailed interior woodwork throughout
- balustrade stairwell
- hardwood and tile floors
- original light fixtures
- original fixtures in the basement, including a coal bin, an old oil furnace, and an ironing station for servants
Local Governments (ON)
Ontario Heritage Act
Municipal Heritage Designation (Part IV)
Theme - Category and Type
Function - Category and Type
- Single Dwelling
Architect / Designer
Nichols, Sheppard and Masson
Location of Supporting Documentation
Office of the Heritage Planner, City of Windsor
Suite 404B, 400 City Hall Square East
Windsor, Ontario, Canada N9A 7K6
Cross-Reference to Collection