Description of Historic Place
763 Walker Road is a semi-detached, two storey, brick dwelling built in 1893 for employees of the Hiram Walker distillery. It is located on the west side of the 700 block of Walker Road in the former Town of Walkerville.
It is recognized for its heritage value by the City of Windsor By-law 10052.
763 Walker Road is an exceptional example of Victorian-era, middle class housing built in the former Town of Walkerville during the 1890s. It is an integral component within a grouping of five identical Hiram Walker Worker Houses on the west side of Walker Road.
The north side, of this two storey, semi-detached structure was built in 1893 on a tract of land deeded to the Walkerville Land and Building Company, by Hiram Walker, on December 19, 1890. The Walkerville Land and Building Company built and leased these residences to employees of the Hiram Walker distillery. A full range of municipal services were provided for them by the Walkerville Land and Building Company.
763 Walker Road is the north half of a T-shaped, two storey, semi-detached building. It features red brick walls laid in stretcher bond, a fieldstone foundation, a pitched roof, a decorative fascia board with a finial at its peak, and two chimneys - one of which is decorated with corbelled brick moulding at its crest. There are eleven window openings with brick voussoirs, double-hung, multi-paned, wood sash windows and some original ornamental millwork.
Hiram Walker, a distiller from Detroit, founded the Town of Walkerville in 1858. By the late 1880s the Walkers were developing rental properties for the distillery's employees at all levels. The building is located on the fringe of Walkerville where the working-class employees traditionally resided. 763 Walker Road, as well as the entire row of Hiram Walker Worker Houses on the 700 block of Walker Road, is representative of the former Town of Walkerville's original streetscape.
Sources: The City of Windsor By-law 10052, December 11, 1989; Building Analysis Form, June 29, 1989.
Character defining elements that embody the heritage value of 763 Walker Road include its:
- two storey, semi-detached structure
- red brick walls laid in stretcher bond
- fieldstone foundation
- pitched roof
- two chimneys, one decorated with corbelled brick moulding
- original ornamental fascia board and finial
- eleven window openings with brick voussoirs
- double-hung, multi-paned, wood sash windows
- original ornamental millwork
- status as one of a series of five identical, semi-detached buildings
- location on the fringe of Walkerville